Kingfish setup help

Chriso2014

You can get 2 setups of mid range quality setups for that money, I'd get one heavy and one medium/ heavy. Use my recommendations as a guide not gospel.

Look at the ugly stik gold range in the 6-8kg range and the 10-15kg range for your 2 rods. A bit on the heavier side, but you don't want to go to light to begin with. For under $100 a stick you can't go wrong.

For your reels I'd choose a 6000 and 10000 size in the shimano range, probably the Socorro model, again for under $100 you can't go wrong.

Fireline braid in 14lb and 30lb, put some mono backing on the spools to prevent slippage and bring your braid out. And you'll also need to get some flourocarbon leader in similar poundage to your mainline. Learn the double uni knot to join mainline to leader.

Tighten the drag and Wash your gear after every use, then ALWAYS back the drag off. Oil with oil pen at intervals and you will have your gear for ages, no lie.

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

Hey mate,

Are you looking at an overhead or a spinning outfit? Also are you going to chase king on a regular basis?

It would be wiser to spend the money on a better quality reel over a better quality rod. Sure an expensive rod will feel nicer and have a better action but you need a good drag and a durable reel. As mentioned above, an ugly stick would be a good budget rod to get started on if you are watching the $$$$.

You should look at running 50lb braid. Anything less and you will have a hard time on bigger fish. 60lb fluorocarbon leader will be fine if you are running 50lb braid. Mono backing as mentioned with 100m of braid should be fine unless you are jigging deeper reefs in which case put 300m of braid. Drag should be set between 8 to 10kg. Anything less than around 75cm won't even pull line at this drag setting.

A cheap reel will do the job in the short term. From my experience, the main advantage with a more expensive reel is it will last longer. With a cheap reel if you are using high pressure drags the gearing will feel lumpy fairly quickly - particularly if you are jigging on a regular basis. An excellent set-up for around the $500 mark would be a shimano saragosa matched with a daiwa monster mesh rod. This is a nice balanced outfit that will give you years of good performance. I have also ben told that the okuma salina reels are good for the price. Again, if you wanted to cut cost, get a cheaper rod but get a good reel.

Don't get too caught up in the 'drag rating' specified on a reel box. What a reel is 'rated' to and how long it will actually last at that 'rating' are two very different things.

One question is do you already have another setup?

If this is your first setup I would go lighter say 6-8kg rod and 4000 sized daiwa or 6000 shimano reel with 20-30lb braid.

This will be good for a range of fish from the boat including kingys. If you find you keep getting smoked by the big ones - tell me what you are doing as I haven't had that problem yet!

Good luck, with any rod reel setup it will never do everything, so make compromises for what you think you will use most. And when you find from multiple trips that you are missing something then buy a new set up for that later.

Dan

If this is your first setup I would go lighter say 6-8kg rod and 4000 sized daiwa or 6000 shimano reel with 20-30lb braid.

This ^^

i was pulling in 80-90cm kings over xmas using a very similar setup - 40lb line min though.

lots of fun