Squid/calamari where?

pbk1776

many places champ. Look for sand, weed, and structure, and chances are they have frequented the spot.

These are some of my usual points of call for a few squid.

Pier 2, Jeffrey St Wharf, Cremorne point wharf, Greenwich Wharf, Clifton Gardens, Cowan Creek, Cottage Point, etc

They are quite thick in numbers at the moment in the deeper spots. Like i said, look for sand, weed, and structure.

There are also the decent size southern Calamari around if you know where to look and dont mind a bit of rock fishing. I have had a pretty productive weekend on them myself. I only know the hawkesbury and Syd harbour areas, so Wollongong i am unsure.

many places champ. Look for sand, weed, and structure, and chances are they have frequented the spot.

These are some of my usual points of call for a few squid.

Pier 2, Jeffrey St Wharf, Cremorne point wharf, Greenwich Wharf, Clifton Gardens, Cowan Creek, Cottage Point, etc

They are quite thick in numbers at the moment in the deeper spots. Like i said, look for sand, weed, and structure.

There are also the decent size southern Calamari around if you know where to look and dont mind a bit of rock fishing. I have had a pretty productive weekend on them myself. I only know the hawkesbury and Syd harbour areas, so Wollongong i am unsure.

Hey 00ROTA, i fish the hawkesbury a fair bit but can never seem to fish the squid, any chance of getting a few pointers??

Guest Aussie007

forget coming to sydney if your in picton, go to port kembla and fish around bass point under the wharf there, i havent been down there in some time but we were pulling in squid 5 times larger than the biggest ive seen caught in the port hacking

and there easy to catch use a spike with a dead yakka on it toss it out 2 meters under a float on a breach rod, fish the east side of the coal wharf or what ever its called

one later afternoon we had a yakka out under a float and a big kingy took it faught dirty all the way and and got us on the reef 2 meters off the rocks

00rota,

x2 re squid in the Hawkesbury and Broken Bay Area. Im keen to know where they hide other than the north end of the Palm Beach headland which I find very hit and miss ... i have access to both land based and a boat.

Cheers

Gazza

thanks for the pointer mate

Im going out with couple of mates this Friday night

we might hit up North Sydney and surroundings.

I will be targeting the Squids and couple of mates will

try their luck with Flatties I guess.

Will be bringing my Patrol to the city - something I really

do not want to do lol

BR

Really depends where in the hawkesbury you go. I do alot of night fishing on the boat, and have LED strips set up on the gunnel This attracts the bait fish extremely easily, and in turn the squid. Down Cowan Creek, there is a point just down from Cottage Point, that forks off towards Smiths Creek. This is easily one of my favourite spots. Dont even need to get too much activity in the jig. I use 2.5 sized jigs, and flick 2 jigs out per rod rigged on a paternoster. I use a couple rods too. All with different natural colours. Normally flick them out, let them settle, and theres a squid on the end. Ofcourse if your towards pittwater, the top of Barrenjoey Heads holds squid in numbers, and the Pillboxes.

I have a few other little top squidding spots, but dont want to reveal them, as they are already getting pretty crowded. Tips are, look for weed and jumbled structure on your sounder, make sure water is clear, go nuts. You will find them in the most interesting places!

• 2 weeks later...

Going to try some squiding next week when I start my holidays, I bought some jigs last year and haven't been fishing since I never find the time my daughter has been bugging me for months for a feed of fresh squid.