Rocket launchers and bimini covers

VViCKiD

Hi all,

I've currently got one of those bimini covers that clip onto the window of my boat and is stretched by a cord backwards. I've added rocket launchers to this bimini as well.

The problem with this is

- the cord that stretches the bimini out wastes valuable fishing space at the back

- u can't hold onto the bimini or rocket launcher for support

- u can't troll with the rocket launchers

I was thinking of purchasing one of these:

http://www.biasboating.com.au/Boat_Arch_Rocket_Launcher_p/6322.htm

And some how attaching the bimini to it.

Would anyone know how I can achieve this?

Or is there an off the shelf solution that I can purchase?

Thanks in advance!

Hi dave,

The bimini I currently have is alot like this (I also have the exact same boat model):

bu10964_-_1.jpg

This is the rocket launcher I was thinking of purchasing (can be bought at bias for $179):

ma100.jpg

Thanks for the help !

I have one of these launchers. They are OK for rod holding but would not use it for trawling as I don't think the mounting fittings to the deck could stand the pressure on a big strike.

When assembling , the 6 rod holders can go in one of two directions. Do a rough assembly first & check it out in the boat to see which option is best for access , ie lifting the rods in & out of the holders

With the launcher being the highest point I mounted the anchor light on top.

Here are a couple of pic's that may be of interest

post-731-0-07593900-1389905602_thumb.jpg

This one was taken prior to the light being fitted.

post-731-0-59032100-1389905683_thumb.jpg

Geoff

Though I'd like to attach the rocket launcher to the bimini so you don't neeed the cords.

Cheer guys

That should not be difficult. A thin strip of Aluminium , one end screwed to the bimini frame & the other to the launcher.

May be wise to have one end with a bolt through the frame rather than screws, held in place with a wing nut, just in case you want to drop the bimini or launcher at any time with out searching around for a screwdriver.

Geoff

none of the premade ones are any good for heavy outfits even say tld 25s the plastic ones are only rated to 1kg outfit per rod holder
even that bias one will bend with someone holding on to it in a swell etc coming back in

only way is custom made either by whoever the site sponsor is or anyone else

looking at 1k -1500 for a reasonable setup

benefit of a well made unit is you can ut nav lights antennas etc up there as well

none of the premade ones are any good for heavy outfits even say tld 25s the plastic ones are only rated to 1kg outfit per rod holder

even that bias one will bend with someone holding on to it in a swell etc coming back in

benefit of a well made unit is you can ut nav lights antennas etc up there as well

Bang on Juggs

Juggs, on 17 Jan 2014 - 4:23 PM, said:

None of the premade ones are any good for heavy outfits even say tld 25s.

Even that bias one will bend with someone holding on to it in a swell etc coming back in

Sorry Juggs , but I don't agree. Sure the Bias ones may not be as strong as a SS unit bolted down to the gunnel but I have 8 holders (the normal is 6 , I purchased two extra) & there has never been any concern , as far as holding the rods , over strength.

For those into serious game fishing & have a need to hang 6 or so heavy game reels / rods which may cost thousands of $$$$ into their launcher then yes , the additional cost can be justified but for the average weekend boater the less expensive unit will do the job.

From a safety aspect , in my boat , people are seated when traveling in rough water , not hanging off the launcher

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

I dont know what your disagreeing with as you have just agreed with me
I said no good for heavy outfits or people to hang on too

ive had one collapse and snap off completely with a 3 tld 15s and a spin outfit in it so from my experience they are rubbish

there are two seats in my boat, the most comfortable spot is not seated when travelling home in a building sea.

its standing behind the skipper or other seat occupant taking the pounding through the knees

there is nothing unsafe from my point of view as a skipper by having people stand in the boat while traveling as long as their is something for them to hang on to safely

if its there people will hold on to it no way to avoid it

Edited by Juggs

Hi dave,

The bimini I currently have is alot like this (I also have the exact same boat model):bu10964_-_1.jpg

Thanks for the help !

I have a similar set up on our freedom sport. The Bimini was made by Prestige boat covers I think (glenmore part) instead of the straps he ran a support from front loop to the window rail and then another goes horizontally from the rear hoop to front. No need for any straps.

Not as quick to set up but don't have those cords in the way. Another way would be to get those dogleg supports from bias but they will still take some deck space.

See if I can find a photo.

Here is a shot, you can see the bracing? I made the rocket launchers from the ocean south kit. I agree with some comments, they are hardly sturdy but adequate considering the main hoop is alloy. As you can see this is quite tall, Iam 6'1" and got sick of ducking. It's actually the deck mounts that move the most rather than the hoop.

post-4477-0-83289700-1390264180_thumb.jpg

Edited by achjimmy