Wanting to get into crabs in middle harbour

mike2153

• 2 weeks later...

For blue swimmers you can't beat the witches hat style traps.... heaps better than hoop or pots by far..

With witches hats the crabs do get a bit tangled but with some practice you can extract a crab rather quickly

cheers

Trung

I'm keen to try a few blue swimmers too, are they pretty much everywhere from the spit bridge to balmoral or is there any certain areas that would be worth focusing on? Do you need to leave a witches hat in very long before checking? I've only ever caught sand crabs in Vic before.

I've caught them in water approx 8 metres, but have also seen them in 1 metre of water, and that was sandy bottom, but only ever caught them as a by catch on a line.

I'd use a bait pin that you can buy in a tackle shop to hold down mullet strips etc.

Make sure though that you follow the fisheries guidelines, you are only allowed to use specific nets, and depending on the net type, a specific quantity per licensed person in nsw, but I'm too tired to look atm.

I'm not an expert by any means, but catching a feed of blue swimmers is definitely on my to do list over the coming months.

What's the technique of catching blue swimmers with with he's hats? But of mullet in the bottom? And where do blue swimmers tend to live? On the sandy bottom or around reedy parts? What sort of depth should I be looking for?

Hey mike, I'm not sure about middle harbour but up here a sandy/muddy bottom is best. I usually drop my hats between 2-5m water. I use any fish frame that is left over and cable tie it to the base.

I check them every 1 1/2 to 2 hours and fish whilst I wait. Make sure you do check dpi guidelines though. Good luck!

Cheers scratchie!!!

You are allowed up to 5 witches hats

Hey mike, I'm not sure about middle harbour but up here a sandy/muddy bottom is best. I usually drop my hats between 2-5m water. I use any fish frame that is left over and cable tie it to the base.
I check them every 1 1/2 to 2 hours and fish whilst I wait. Make sure you do check dpi guidelines though. Good luck!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Cable tie, what a great idea, so much better than trying to use string/fishing line or even those bait clips that tangle with the net,