Beach worming pliers

gasmen

I recently went to catch some beach worms with a friend. He had 2 types of worming pliers, a plastic pair and a brass pair. Although I had tried to catch beach worms on a couple of previous occasions (very frustrating) this time I managed to catch a few. The plastic pliers assisted me in a few catches however they had a bit too much give in them when you closed the handles, the brass pliers seemed to be more successful in extracting the little devils out of the sand. I have tried lots of tackle stores and been advised that they don't make brass worming pliers anymore. Does anyone out there know where I can get some brass worming pliers from ? Maybe someone out there has a set that they don't use anymore or knows someone that no longer has a use for their brass pliers.

I am trying my hand at worming at the moment as well and I use the Alvey plastic pliers and like them, even though I'm not great at catching the buggers yet! Try online for brass worming pliers, I'm sure a few places would have them...

I find the Alvey one is good. Some people like to cut off about 1 inch of one of the plier handle so that it doesn't the pliers to close fully. But I prefer it as is because it does not damage the worms head.

I lost my pliers though so have started to learn catching them bare hand.

Can anyone here recommend a place to go beach worming with the kids and a novice (me) that is near the north shore ?

I was at narabeen the other night, got rid of some scrap bait at the end and noticed that there were worms coming up. Only small, but might be worth a shot

• 1 month later...

I find the Alvey one is good. Some people like to cut off about 1 inch of one of the plier handle so that it doesn't the pliers to close fully. But I prefer it as is because it does not damage the worms head.

I lost my pliers though so have started to learn catching them bare hand.

One of the old codgers suggested that I sand down the teeth on the plastic pliers because the worms were slipping thru, had better luck after I did that.

Hmmmmm ....If the worms are 'slipping thru' with the plastic pliers - I reckon you may have just 'slackened off' the pressure a bit & are just not gripping them hard enough. Keep the grip really firm once you 'go for the neck' & all should be well. The teeth of the plastic ones 'wear down' a bit after a while anyway .... so I wouldn't file them down, myself - tho well done, if it has helped you get the worms!

The springs on the Alvey plastic ones makes them easier to use than the brass ones, which you have to manually open & close - whereas the plastic ones 'open on their own' because of the spring, requiring one less step when they are 'on'. I've tried both & personally prefer & recommend the plastic ones as they are much lighter as well.

Most gently sloping East Coast beaches should have beach worms - tho council spraying for Bitou bush has killed the worms on some beaches, as they spray when there is an offshore breeze - so the poison goes on to the sand & kills the worms as well, sadly.

cheers

Roberta

i started with plastic pliers (alvey ones) and became disheartened when i used to snap heads ( a waste of a worm which will die for no good reason). i moved on to practicing with my hands and its so much easier to do! the trick is to not try and outspeed the worm, you will never beat him in reflexes! your best off constantly but steadily closing in using thumb and forefinger just below his head as he is about to pull on your bait in the other hand.

The advantage of worming by hand is if you miss him he will slip through and live to repopulate the beach. Well thats my theory anyway...

Edited by SquidMarks

Good points, SM - sadly I have major arthritis in both of my thumbs & just cannot hold the worms hard enough to pull them out by hand! :ranting2: I try by hand now & then just to 'keep in touch' - but if I want to get worms to go fishing, I just use the pliers! Sweet As!

A few years back, a 'so called fisheries expert' (aka clown) claimed that worms 're-grew' their heads after being broken off ...... now THAT, I've gotta see!! :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

Roberta, have you tried the technique where you use a stocking to hold the bait in one hand then the thumb and forefinger of the other hand trap the worm's neck against the bait. That makes a 3 points contact putting enough pressure against the worm it cannot escape. You then pull it out by lifting both hands.