Polycraft

nightangel

Hi all,

looking at purchasing a 6m polycraft to tour and explore and enjoy aust coastal waterways behind my 4wd over the next 15 years.

want a boat that can be easily towed, won't fall to bits on the trailer, in which I can live on board for a week at a time either in camp grounds or on the water.

Like the sound of the ride characteristics, stability and floatation aspects of this boat, not sure about its trailerability

Should I attempt to buy a hull and engine at best possible price and get a fitter to help me set it up the way I want?.

Currently I couldn't sleep in the standard cuddy setup.

Need things like sink, stove, internal lights, own choice of sounder and electronics and perhaps hydraulic steerage maybe even autopilot etc.

Sun, wind, weather and insect protection also needs to be addressed.

Been reading about boats for 30 years but have no first hand experience in owning one.

Will mostly be travelling and exploring alone out of Brisbane.

Also any comments on the new sideviewing hummingbird sounder/plotters combos?

Tks in anticipation of your advice.

G'day Nightangel and :1welcomeani:

You have chosen to check out a great boat. I have been a Poly owner for a year now and could not be happier with my little 4.1 Challenger.

Not 100 % sure about the 5.99, but Ben at Yabbie Marine, or Mick at ABA should be able to help with your queries. They are both site sponsors and will be well placed to do you a fantastic deal if you do go down the Polycraft route.

My personal opinion would be to have all options fitted ahead of taking delivery. It might cost a little bit more, but it will save you a lot of hassle running around getting little bits and pieces done. Polycraft may even be able to factory fit much of what you are after which would be the best situation of all.

Good luck with your search and the awesome trip you have planned.

Byron

Hi nightangel,

What a great idea :thumbup:

The center console would work with a cabin built forward ... a bit of design work and away you go.

Buy the hull with whatever you want from the factory options and then do your own mods. These hulls are very easy to work on, just drill a pilot hole and use coarse threaded stainless screws to fix anything.

OR, if you can find someone with a plastic welder and the skill to use it ... anything is possible.

Good luck and keep us informed :biggrin2: