Live Bait Tank Problems

kyngfish

I have an inbuilt live bait tank in the boat.

Last week we were out for the night and had the live bait tank running all night and into the next day (done this before without problems). In the morning it was still running but we went outside in fairly rough/choppy conditions and could only troll around for a couple of hours then headed back in and fished the river for a while.

I then noticed that the bait tank wasn't working and the livies and a couple fish we had in there were dead.

Thought that this may be a fuse or the pump had stopped working so the next day had a bit of a look around but turned it on and it worked again.

Is this just a loose wire or did the pump over heat? Is there anything I can do to stop this in future?

Do you keep the pump going whilst running around at speed? Most are set on the transom and will run dry when you are on the plane, get hot and possibly die.

I use a scoop to attach the pump to the transom, this provides water without the need to run the pump when your at speed to alleviate this problem. Whitworths, bias etc have the scoops, have a look at them on line.

Hi Marky,

Yes I do keep the pump running at speed and haven't had a problem before (but haven't been out in the rough conditions before). This set was done by the boat manufacturer Haines Hunter and the intake is on the transom right at the bottom. When I looked at the tank it was only about three quarters full of water.

Maybe because of the bad chop and seas the intake was still coming out of the water.

The fitting I'm talking about looks like this

http://cdn3.volusion.com/efxjc.dkzym/v/vspfiles/photos/1198-2.jpg?1353513360

Water gets pushed through your pump housing without having the pump on whilst you're underway.

Team it ups with one of these if you want to be able to slide the pump up and out of the way.

http://cdn3.volusion.com/efxjc.dkzym/v/vspfiles/photos/1153-2.jpg?1353513360

Kyngfish Can you post a photo of the pump & how it is set up. Trying to explain & understand the problem in words is rather difficult.

I don't think the weather conditions have any bearing on your problem.

As others have said , if the pump is setup correctly then water will flow into the tank without the pump being on when , on or near to being on the plane.

The on then off electrical problem could be a loose or corroded wire but if your running the pump & it becoms dry then overheating wil occur that may cease the bearings . When it cools down the bearings contract & the pump works again.

To test this , run the pump when the boat is on the trailer , if it becoms hot & stops then suggest a new pump is fitted & don't run it in a dry state.

Geoff

Guest Aussie007

pictures would be good as suggested, ive accidentally left my johnson pump turned on while running around the bay without it failing i was only doing around 4-5min runs, i think if i went offshore and left the pump running for half an hour without a pick up it would burn it out

u can buy Rule pumps that are designed to run dry and not fail there also very cheap and work great

On a separate note, is the scoop supposed to pick up water and fill the bait tank without having the pump on while the boat is moving ?

Provided the boat is traveling at a sufficent speed , like on the plane then , yes.

Geoff

Thanks guys,

. The pump looks like it is going to be difficult to get to.

It sounds like you have an inboard pump , ie the pump is inside the hull. Thats OK provided they have installed a suitable pipe (scoop) that picks up the water when on the plane.

If it is simply a hole in the bottom of the transom then you will only pick up water when at rest which is rather useless if traveling long distances on the plane.

Geoff

Okay, looking at that photo the setup looks fine, you should get a reasonable flow when at speed without having to use the pump. A bit odd, maybe a blockage in the piece of bent pipe in the scoop? Unscrew the pump and check, once I got a bit of junk between the scoop and the pump which stopped the flow whilst on the move with no pump on.

Yeah, that's what I thought but strange it has never given flow at speed without the pump on? I think Whiting might be onto something. I have the identical set up except I have mine on a slider for beach launches etc and get good flow but my Johnson pump doesn't have the slots on the side of the strainer I don't think just the bottom.

Tape 'er up VicKid and let us know what happens.

Says the guy with a credible 15 posts

Everyone just needs to chill out. We're all here to learn/help each other out. There is no need for wise crack comments.

Lets help each other out and keep those lines tight

Edited by VViCKiD