Sydney Harbour - fishing better than the weather

jdudfield

The wind looked okay a few days ago so I convinced the daughter she owed her dad a fishing trip!

Started in North Harbour for some yakkas ... found plenty of all sizes ... lollipop plus. Threw a small squid head out the back while getting the yakkas and bang! A nice bream over 40cm

post-17982-0-75422900-1390296069_thumb.jpg

Kept chasing yakkas and a kingy followed one up mmmm ... put out a livey and started throwing a plastic ...

Third cast on the plastic and 'bang' then acrobatics, a tailor! A bit of fun and guess what followed it to the boat ... more kingies ... even even they were just rats! Kept the tailor for dinner.

post-17982-0-50030600-1390296270_thumb.jpg

Thought I better give the daughter a full on fishing experience in bad weather so I headed out around North Head on a slow troll. It was very messy out there, no wonder we were alone. A few points around the heads the light line with a small rapala pilchard goes off and the daughter has a great time hanging on as I head out to deeper water. Lots of big runs, lots of winding, get it near the boat and see its a kingfish, it takes another big run, she gets it back close to the boat but the 10lb leader pops ... looked a bit rubbed up so assume the kingy got her down to the weeds and rocks at some point. Anyway back we go for a few more passes for nil so we then slow drifted a yakka ... heaps of fish on the sounder and bang, another kingy. Bigger rod with plenty of firepower so this one was subdued.

post-17982-0-41173600-1390296579_thumb.jpg

Even though I promised the daughter only one pass in the messy conditions she was up for a few more ... for a few missed strikes and then another hook up. They liked the lollipop yakkas!

By 11am the clouds looked even worse so we headed in, although I think it was improving as we left the boat ramp. Just glad the weather didn't put us off at the start! A great day out.