American Trip

AGP

Gday Raiders,

Went to America with the mrs late last year and got onto some good fish. Went to 5 states whilst there but saved the fishing for Key Biscayne out of Miami city and the Colorado river out of Vegas in the Nevada desert.

I did my research before going and wanted to specifically target Bonefish and Tarpon in Miami then have a crack at the BIG striped bass they get in the Colorado river.

Did 2 full days on the Flats in Miami first up and that was incredible. Crystal clear water sight casting to big Bonefish that fight even harder than what you could imagine. 15 mins to subdue these bad boys they just dont stop. They would have to be the funnest sport fish I have ever targeted. Had the frustration of casting at a school of 100lb plus Tarpon that just would not feed. Was cool just to see these awesome fish though.

post-21604-0-40263000-1390439780_thumb.jpg

post-21604-0-56305100-1390439827_thumb.jpg

post-21604-0-69473300-1390440968_thumb.jpg

post-21604-0-54740300-1390440835_thumb.jpg

Ended up spooking countless schools of Bones as if you dont land your cast within 1 foot in front of them they spook in the clear shallow water.

My patience paid off and ended up landing 3 within an hour in no more than 3 feet of water. Even had a Bull shark chase a Bone in while I was fighting it which added to the excitment! There are sharks everywhere on the flats and we easily saw over 100 on each day in the shallows.

Next off was the Colorado river to fish for Striped Bass (Stripers) using 10 inch stick baits on baitcasters loaded up with 50lb braid to try and stop these brutes.

post-21604-0-36699300-1390440221_thumb.jpg

post-21604-0-79626600-1390440379_thumb.jpg

post-21604-0-23070000-1390440495_thumb.jpg

This has to be one of the most scenic rivers i've fished and the fishing was on another level.

Landed 3 striped bass with 2 of them being over 20lbs. All pulled from a crystal clear mountain fed river.

If anyone reads this is going to the U.S pm me and i'll point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Man did i miss out on the fishing when i went over there a year ago. The missus relos in Texas said they'd take me fishing....we went to a pier to catch sardines :mad3:

Seeing your pics i might give it another go when next i head over...this time it will be purely fishing and no family mumbo jumbo.

Thanks for the inspiration.

AGP,

Sounds like you got your holiday priorities right! Congrats on the bonefish - was it on fly or spinning gear? Must say though that the striped bass are massive!! More like barra fishing bass! Thanks for sharing your fishing trip.

AGP,

Sounds like you got your holiday priorities right! Congrats on the bonefish - was it on fly or spinning gear? Must say though that the striped bass are massive!! More like barra fishing bass! Thanks for sharing your fishing trip.

Hi mate,

The Bones were on light to medium spinning gear. The first run is such a shock and the 4000 stradic was melting!!

The Stripers are similar to Barra as they can live in both fresh and salt and can grow to around 70lb. They pull like hell too.

Edited by AGP