Fuel tank fittings - what glue?

wish2fish

Hi raiders,

I have a couple of portable reserve tanks for unleaded fuel. The tanks have a threaded hole in them for which to screw in the hose attachment. The problem is the attachments don't seem to tighten up in the threaded hole. I have tried using thread tape and silicone but they still leak when the tank is under pressure. I glued them in using hot glue from my rod repair kit and it set the fitting in nice and firm. Until today when I filled them up the glue reacted to the petrol and the fittings came loose and started leaking again.

Any suggestions what else to use?

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Testlab, they have been like that since new. They originally came with a o ring but the fitting wouldn't tighten enough to seal with it. I have found it hard to find the same size and shape tank as these ones. They are perfect size to fit under the shelf of the transom.

Am I correct in saying the holes are at or near the bottom of the tank??

If so , have you considered sealing them off & installing a fitting at the top of the tank or through the filler hole with a hose that goes from the fitting to the bottom of the tank.

Or , instaling a breather fitting to the top of the tank to relieve the pressure

Bias / Whitworths have a range of fuel fitting available which could be worth checking out.

Also , check out the locktite range of products , they may have a suitable sealer

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

Guest Aussie007

i would get new tanks if they were like this from new than there cheap quality, the fitting should fit snug but u dont over do it or you'll just strip the plastic threads

if your dead set on keeping those tanks get the holes filled with plastic weld than drill and re-tap the holes

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Zook, where would I buy stage jointing paste from?

I bought these tanks from bias boating. The fitting that needs glueing is at the top of the tank.

Seems a shame to throw away before at least trying to repair.

No just make sure it's clean and dry, roughing up helps with adhesion to smoother surfaces.Give it atleast 24hrs to cure before filling tank and check for leaks.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

Guest Aussie007

something to think about a leak in the fuel line can seize your engine, not from fuel coming out but rather the engine sucking air in thru the leak

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking back with results.

The stag paste seemed to do the job until pressure built up in the tank and the fumes managed to work its way through the join. I tried a military grade 2 part epoxy that a mate gave me and so far it has held.