Surface feeding fish

jasoncrd

Hi everyone,

I was fishing some mudflats at the Hawkesbury today near some oyster leases and there were quite a few fish smashing the surface in under 3 feet of water.

I couldn't actually seem to get a good look at any of the fish that were doing it and I didn't have my sunnies on me. Would anyone happen to know what fish could have been doing this? I'm guessing whiting or bream? I tried chucking out a few different surface lures to no avail.

Cheers, Jason

I'm pretty sure they weren't mullet. I see mullet feeding a lot at my local and the action seemed a bit different. Mind you there were a few big mullet jumping around near there so it very well could have been.

I think I'll just have to bring some poppers, a float, some bread and a couple other lures with me next time for a better chance at catching one and actually find out what they are.

Thanks for your help.

Jason,

Could have been frigate mackerel, as I saw some splashing about over shallow water in Port Hacking today. Tried a couple of different lures for no result, only had one follow up but no hook up.

The frigates are feeding on rather small baitfish. I tried some rather small lures but no good.

If the feeding fish are moving at high speed, then it would be frigates. If only slowly swimming along, then could be sand mullet, as they are also over the Port Hacking flats in big schools, or bream and whiting as the others have stated.

Last year up the parra river is saw a school of poddies going nuts in the shallows, it looked more like a bait ball of shore getting rounded up.in the space of 10 to 15 casts I pulled two good flatties three bream and a massive whitting from the immediate area. question is was what you saw the prey or predator.

• 1 month later...

Yowie,

i was trying my heart out last weekend throwing everything possible at those frigate mackerel. I tried pillie pieces, small vibes (which looked remarkably similar to the baitfish they are feeding on), small poppers, small blades for around an hour.. NOTHING!

• 4 weeks later...

I still have no idea what they could have been but it was really muddy and murky in that part of the Hawkesbury so I couldn't get any sight of what it was at all. Hopefully I'll get the chance to head back there and try catch whatever it was.

Thanks for the help, Jason