where to go for marlin trip?

Andy_c

Hi guys just wondering wheres fishing well atm for marlin? Ive heard good numbers of beakies off port stephens the last week or so but seems to have shut down a bit of late. Any reports off bermi or jervis bay? We are from Melbourne and dont wanna waste alot of time and money like last year.

Thanx in advance.

Edited by Andy_c

Its not a matter of chartering.. we have a big boat we are fishing out of. Juat the water has moved on abit I e heard. I k ow bermi went ok today up north a bit off the kink but not really great numbers.

I love port stephens but its abit far to go with crappy weather and currents

We fished today off Sydney & dropped 2 fish. The reports on the radio from the big fish bonanza were slow with boats further north of us & a few on the carpark struggling to find fish. There were a few marlin & the odd tiger shark caught but where we were off Sydney fished well. Around us we had Murrifin who I think dropped a marlin & got a nice dollie, Watergirl caught a few dollies off the traps, Makira I think lost a fish at the boat but the boat of the day was the boys on Huntress a 30ft Pursuit who went 2 from 2 striped marlin as well as a few dollies. Water was patchy but if you found the good water you found a fish. Unfortunately for us the hooks didn't stay connected but it was still good to see a few fish about. Judging by radio reports today I don't think further south was great today & we could also hear the boats off Port to the north & it didn't sound like it was firing however we do have a full moon & the fishing should improve later this week off Sydney & Port. Reports from Narooma which is my home port have been slow but still the odd fish about.

To answer your question I would head to Port Stephens as it should only improve.

Cheers

Damo

Well I just gpt a message from a mate that several game / charter boats tagged 7 fiah today. Port fired! But will the rains from up north screw these waters up next week ending??

Everyone knows that when port fires it fires!!

Thanks damo aka reef charters! Any assistance from the pros is always great help!!!

Ive been on boats before and weve landed beakies... infact its always my rods n gear thats alwsys hit first. But!! Im never first on strike so.. arhh well.. next time

Last week end 9 fish were caught at the banks north of JB and seven fish were landed of the stones from Friday arvo till Monday night

So if I was you I would be fishing the south coast for the next week or so , I will get another report later tonight I can you let you know how they went on the weekend

Well I just gpt a message from a mate that several game / charter boats tagged 7 fiah today. Port fired! But will the rains from up north screw these waters up next week ending??

Everyone knows that when port fires it fires!!

Hey mate...your port firing might be misleaded as from what we have heard 1 boat got 5 fish on lures & a boat traveling to port may have tagged 7 on the way. But as far as port firing there were more lures caught trolling than live baitin & in general it was very quiet.

It should improve as the moon decreases as I said & hopefully the Shootout will fire.

But once again I wouldn't go any where else but Port if you really want a consistant chance of catching fish on a day to day basis & I really think you really answered your own question. Another 7 hours of travel is nothing chasing the ultimate prize.

Anyway if you do end up in Port give us a call on 0407113349 and we will catch up for a beer.

Cheers

Damo

Edited by Reef Magic Charters

Think your right damo. Fairly sure ill be there friday or sat am!! Tight lines guys. Hope this shite weather brings some more fish in and the bite heats up.

Ps... hoping to hookup a few more crackin monster kingies like last year... only this year I wanna stop em! 20kg + kingies are awsome!!

Hey guys,

Fishing on the banks yesterday went off...fishing for kings on jigs & hooking marlin lol

Heaps of marlin hooked & tagged on the day.

A lot of undersized kings but a few big ones running around, a local pro boat poled stacks of kings.

A couple of guys had akuma 37kg sticks & broke the both on kings so I wouldn't rate them!!!

They had never broken a stick before just shitty rods

I personally wouldn't go past the 400 t curve,couldn't break one if you tried.

I'm heading down next weekend,hope to wet the tag pole.

Hope this helps

I dont have any subscription to sst... but by looking at the bom site good waters pushing in to port stephens y the end of the week and also swinging wide off sydney running straight into narooma etc.. only gonna get better.

A mate sent me a photo of thwm. Thwy got 2 today off the carpark