Botany Bay 2 Feb 2014

Dalucius

It has been 9 months since we have taken the boat out. Today we finally got to take it to Botany Bay.

We got to Kyeemagh about 5.30am. It was very busy with lots of boats arriving for their day on the water.

We first tried a drift in the middle near the channel markers and we were busy unhooking and throwing back small squire. I had a weight on my line and thought maybe just some weed and I was surprised to find it was a blue swimmer crab. It was hanging on to my prawn and wouldn’t let go. Geoff netted it and brought it into the boat and then it was on. Of course it let go of the bait and harassed me by running around the floor of the boat. Geoff kept laughing at me while I was trying to keep my toes out of the way. He threw a rag on it, picked it up while I quickly took a picture and then threw it back. Geoff then caught a 44cm flathead on a prawn which we bagged.

post-1141-0-39998800-1391336759_thumb.jpg

We decided to move on to the end of the first runway and anchored. We caught a couple of small bream and the squire were back. I was bringing my line in hoping for a nice flatty and to my surprise there was a great big one sucking on my bait and as it reached near the surface it just let go and slowly started to sink. I dropped my line back in hoping it was still interested and as quick as a flash a squire pushed in front of it and took my bait. Goodbye flatty.

After a while we moved and drifted back and forth from the Cooks River to the Novotel a couple of hundred metres out. Geoff caught a nice legal whiting (released) on a prawn and a 42cm flathead (bagged) on 7”jerkshad electric chicken with a 3/8 jig head. Funny, it swallowed the whole plastic and as I netted it, it spat it right out hook and all. Again more small squire stealing our bait.

We decided to pack up at 2pm as we were getting low on bait. With 30 minutes to go I was determined to catch a flatty. We had used chicken with parmesan cheese, prawn, and pilchards throughout the day and only caught a crab, a flatty, small squire and a small bream.

LAST BAIT full pilchard on gang hooks. I had a few small taps and thought I better check that bait wasn’t gone. As I started to bring it in a few more tugs and a very small run to my surprise it was a nice flatty. My PB 58cm. Lucky Geoff did a good job netting it as the hook dropped out once it was in the boat.

post-1141-0-41107100-1391336765_thumb.jpg post-1141-0-83942500-1391336756_thumb.jpg

After an enjoyable but tiring day Geoff cleaned the fish, I filleted them, packed some fillets in the freezer and cooked the rest in tempura batter. Ready to serve with home cooked wedges – yummy.

post-1141-0-55193400-1391336769_thumb.jpg

Hope it's not another nine months to the next fish.

Lyn

• 2 weeks later...

Nice catch. The flathead are great eating at that size. I would have kept the blue swimmer. Yum!

Baz

Thanks Baz. I don't like crab at all and Geoff wasn't fussed so we decided to let it live and get bigger for someone else to enjoy.

Thanks bretto 101. I have to give a little credit to Geoff for his input to our report.

Hope the next report isn't too far away.