Downrigger Advice

meg126

Hi,

Just after some advice on downriggers. I want to get one (like the idea of a Scotty but not really sure why...).

Will be using it solo most of the time, Im wanting it to last me a looong time so happy to pay whatever I need to for the right set up. It will be used broken bay way mostly for Kingfish on a Barcrusher 615.

Any thoughts on what would be a good purchase? Manual Vs Electric?

Hi tasksta,

Mate I'm buying a scotty 1050 down rigger and was wondering does the portable clamp (1021) fit on the gunnels of a quintrex hornet? You might have no idea but hopefully someone here does... Thanks mate.

No idea sorry, i use the slide mount its very simple, solid and clips right out.

Caught my bomb on the FAD once and the cable snapped before the mount broke!

I mounted it on a piece of nylon cutting board at the rear of the gunwhale and have some left if you need it.

Cheers

Paul

Oh mate your to kind and thank you so much. Ill organize some myself thanks again. Really want the portable mount, just make things easier for me but just want to no if it fits firstly.

Thanks for the offer and the reply.

Regards

Bash

Guest Aussie007

Hi,

Just after some advice on downriggers. I want to get one (like the idea of a Scotty but not really sure why...).

Will be using it solo most of the time, Im wanting it to last me a looong time so happy to pay whatever I need to for the right set up. It will be used broken bay way mostly for Kingfish on a Barcrusher 615.

Any thoughts on what would be a good purchase? Manual Vs Electric?

if $500 is in your budget u can get a cannon 5 ST electric downrigger from the USA, i have only owned manual downriggers and quiet a few times ive driven off forgetting the bomb is still down 20 foot so with the electric one flick of a button and up she comes it would come in handy fishing solo

Have to say i would be much more inclined to use mine if it was electric, especially on the solo missions. Gets a bit frantic trying to organise bomb, rod and steering going solo in a swell.

This may or may not be how i hooked up the FAD :)

I have a scotty 1050 which I use when fishing for kings solo A LOT. I purchased them when I was on more of a budget and my mate who uses an electric has been in my ear to get one ever since he got one.

If you are not worried about spending a bit extra I think an electric would be easier if you are by yourself. It's one less thing to do between steering the boat, holding onto a rampaging king while simultaneously making one hand periodically available to crank the bomb up. One touch of a button and it will be up with an electric.

I wouldn't waste money on 'full metal' options. My scotty has been used extensively and still looks (and works) like new. For the price of a full metal downrigger you can buy an electric scotty.

Make sure you bring the bomb back into the boat before driving between spots and I would recommend changing the wire cable to 200lb braid. I was given the same advice and didn't listen at first and learnt the hard way after about 18 months when the cable began to rust and I lost the bomb.

i picked up a cannon mag5 online from the states for $470 delivered get the gimble mount as well and u can take it off easy and swap it to any position on your boat where u have a gimble rod holder, Iv only used it once so far but very easy hit the up button and it automatically winds it self up then stops when the bomb reaches water level so its not swinging around and hitting the boat.

Guest Aussie007

i picked up a cannon mag5 online from the states for $470 delivered get the gimble mount as well and u can take it off easy and swap it to any position on your boat where u have a gimble rod holder, Iv only used it once so far but very easy hit the up button and it automatically winds it self up then stops when the bomb reaches water level so its not swinging around and hitting the boat.

does it have any settings where u can pre set a depth u know the fish are holding for one push of the button drop?

Guest Aussie007

no doesnt do that but they all have a counter and with the 10lb bomb i can see it on the sounder

bugger, it would be a nice feature on a cheap model

I have a scotty 1050 which I use when fishing for kings solo A LOT. I purchased them when I was on more of a budget and my mate who uses an electric has been in my ear to get one ever since he got one.

If you are not worried about spending a bit extra I think an electric would be easier if you are by yourself. It's one less thing to do between steering the boat, holding onto a rampaging king while simultaneously making one hand periodically available to crank the bomb up. One touch of a button and it will be up with an electric.

I wouldn't waste money on 'full metal' options. My scotty has been used extensively and still looks (and works) like new. For the price of a full metal downrigger you can buy an electric scotty.

Make sure you bring the bomb back into the boat before driving between spots and I would recommend changing the wire cable to 200lb braid. I was given the same advice and didn't listen at first and learnt the hard way after about 18 months when the cable began to rust and I lost the bomb.

Thanks for that, what kind of electric downrigger does your mate have and would you recommend that it? How many inches should I be looking at 24/ 30 or 60? My boat is 6m long and Ill mount them nearer the Stern. I was thinking of the Scotty 1101 with swivel mount... but having very limited experience, Im not sure what I should be looking for here

Edited by meg126

I bought a aluminum one which is really good quality,it came rigged with 200lb braid, cannon ball and line counter. It slots into a rod holder and I have to say its really sweet. The only problem is I don't think I can tell you where I got it. Maybe worth a Google. Let's just say the item you are after is in the web address

Gl..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...