Radio silence

NaClH2OK9

As part of the kit out of my new boat (new to me ) I've just fitted a GME GX600A VHF radio.

I appreciate it a budget model but was surprised after installing it that all the channels were dead.

i.e. complete radio silence.

I know I'm not on the water (boat on the drive) but I'm only 100M from the sea in Cronulla.

Does this sound normal (no pun intended) ??

Steve

Edited by Cluster13

what day & how long were you listening for? keep in mind its only as good as line of sight if theres tall buildings between you and other vessels you may not hear them.

VHF on week days can be quiet, if anything listen to channel 21 for a while, there's more chit chat on there then there is on 16 or even better put it on scan & listen to all of them

also try on the weekend when more boats are out if you dont get anything then start with checking antenna connections.

Brett

Ok I probably don't have line of sight but did leave it on scan for 30 mins. It's a 2m ariel and 25w radio. Is that not enough to get through the local buildings? I used to use cb radio 20 years ago and picked up everything in a built up area. Is vhf that different?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

You won't get into trouble asking for a radio check on Channel 16.

Most VHF operators I would suggest don't have a licence. It isn't questioned, as at the end of the day the govt would prefer you have the safety of the radio before they would crucify you for being unlicensed.

As said previously though, mid week is quiet.

21 is boat to boat fishing chat, so you can ask someone for a radio check if you here any chatter.....I wouldn't be too concerned about correct protocol on 21.

16 is your marine rescue, monitored channel.

Botany Bay, Solander is only staffed on weekends.

Sydney 24/7

So if you are going to try a check on 16.

Sydney marine rescue, Sydney marine rescue, Sydney marine rescue, this is....boat name or nickname of some sort 3 times...

Wait and listen for a response, if no response after a few minutes, try again. After 3 times, nothing heard out.

Don't call on the top of the hour, allows a few minutes after

Have you got the squelch turned down on the radio?

Cronulla can be a bitch of a place to contact marine rescue. I am in Buraneer bay marina, I can get Sydney from there, but from Mainbar beach often until I get out level with Jibbon Bombie, buckles of getting them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

South Cronulla can be difficult, we normally stop out off Cronulla as I said, on the way out and on the way in to log on or off.

I have spoken with Sydney Marine a Rescue, clear as a bell at the FADs, Browns, botany heads, all the way to Sydney Harbour.

Then gone to log off near Cronulla, and in the end had them call my mobile

Thanks all. Although everything was quiet again tonight I called marine rescue on 16 and they responded :) it did throw me though when they were insistent on asking for my location. Reception was poor but given what has been said about this being a dead spot I'm happy that I've got a working radio.

Thanks all. Although everything was quiet again tonight I called marine rescue on 16 and they responded :) it did throw me though when they were insistent on asking for my location. Reception was poor but given what has been said about this being a dead spot I'm happy that I've got a working radio.

Don't be embarrassed that you were in your driveway, honestly, they would not have criticised you for it.

I have done a couple of radio duties, intended to keep going long term. But personal concerns were not correct at the time.

As I said previously far more important that you can raise Marine Rescue, rather than concerning about legals of registration etc.