Centre Console choices

davegroves68

Hi all,

I have recently sold my Bertram 25 owned with a mate and am now in the market for a centre console that will not have the running costs of the Bertie.

I am going for aluminium as its lighter for towing and I am restricted to about 4.2 or 4.3 metres as I want to keep it in my garage.

There seem to be a few 4.5s or larger on the market but no 4.2m boats so I am considering buying new.

I like the look or the Brooker 4.2m centre console or possibly Anglapro Bandit 424. I just wondered if any members have used these boats and what they think.

No more than a 40hp on the back and my budget is to $16k so these are possible.

I would be using it purely for fishing inshore, dropping it in at Longreef (done it many times with friends boats, so I realise the issues there) and for harbour fishing.

thanks in advance

Dave

Hi, the best 4.3M alloy boat anyone makes is the Stacer 429 Outlaw. It offers unmatched ride and stability with the renowned EVO hull, it has 3mm all round, it comes STD with live bait tank and as a side console( a much better layout in such a size boat) you can get a brand new BMT with carby engine under your $16K budget or for a bit more than your budget you can upgrade to a clean tech outboard with cash back running at present.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks for the input guys.

That hinged drawbar looks useful.

My garage is 19 feet long so i'm ok there, trouble is, its only a tiny bit over 2 metres wide, so I think that rules out the Outlaw Huey as I think they are over 2m beam?

I am curious how a side console goes fishing solo as that's why I want a smaller more manageable boat and was leaning towards centre console.

Looks like I need a trip up to Cowan and have a chat Huey.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, I have run many 429 Outlaw side consoles one up and they perform fine because the natural tendency of any hull, with the outboard prop turning clockwise, is the "push" the port side down so having a side console on the starboard side makes it better than a centre console for correct weight distribution with one up. The 429 Outlaw is a great boat and very good value but yes she is 2.06M wide so that might be a problem for you.

Feel free to come up and view one, a new 429 Outlaw arrived on Saturday so worth a look.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Dave, I have run many 429 Outlaw side consoles one up and they perform fine because the natural tendency of any hull, with the outboard prop turning clockwise, is the "push" the port side down so having a side console on the starboard side makes it better than a centre console for correct weight distribution with one up. The 429 Outlaw is a great boat and very good value but yes she is 2.06M wide so that might be a problem for you.

Feel free to come up and view one, a new 429 Outlaw arrived on Saturday so worth a look.

Cheers,

Huey.

Plus you can also place your fuel tanks and batteries on the port side to even the load.

Yes and in the Stacer the LBT is on the port side and the battery is along the keel line. The 429 Outlaw side console works very well in the water and with its deep vee there is not a softer riding 4.3M going around-I have been in some pretty nasty water with them.

Cheers,

Huey.

I sold my stacer nomad 469 a few years ago, storage became an issue and leaving it out on the road wasn't working for me.

I really enjoy fishing solo.

It had a Starboard side console, electric motor mounted on the port side. I'm pretty sure the fuel tank was on the port side too. It still listed to starboard and was uncomfortable when the weather got bad in Botany Bay.

The 429 could be different as Huey says, but do yourself a favour and make sure you get a test ride somewhere.

Next time I get a boat, it'll be a 4.5 bandit with a hinged drawbar for my tiny cronulla garage. I personally preferred to stand up and use my legs to absorb the shock when the weather picked up, I would always find myself trying to stand in the middle to even things up.

Good luck making your decision.

• 6 months later...