Devastated

pete76

so ive only ever caught one stripe marlin on a charter in cabo mexico before.....so last friday we had the morning to fish so headed out to chase my first sydney marlin. Couple of hours into it we found great water 23deg so started to troll, half an hour into it we saw birds and dolphins splashing about, no sooner had we passed it the long rigger starts screaming(37kg standup) couldnt believe my eyes and more than half the spool emptied in seconds!! with 2 of us onboard we cleared the other lines and started chasing her to retrieve some line, 15 min into it the big blue comes out Greg whos well experienced called it for 180-200kg!! now im strapped up into the standup gear trying to bring this beast in but everytime we gain a bit she takes double. anyway an hour into the fight thinking that i have her in control she takes a massive dive to the bottom, with only meters of line left on my reeel, i put it in full drag which stops the fish, but for the next 2 hours i couldnt gain nothing on her, we tried everything but it was a stand off.....3 hours into it i couldnt take it anymore, she'd taken every ounce of energy out of me and the reel was next to empty and we had to get back as greg had to go back to work, so we cut the line!!!

i wasn't going to share this post as im still depressed about it all, but maybe some of you can shed some light on what we could've done different?

one things for sure, ill be back again and again until i get one boatside!!

haha must of been a blue..happens to the best of us the problem with the blue is that at the beginning of the fight you have to gain as much line as you can and make it harder for them to go down deep. once they go down down deep and you have been fighting for a while they usually die and trying to get line back is like trying to get a car up. so the point is in the early stages of thr fight chase him down quick. I have had 2 die on me and I jave learnt my lessons.

absolutely its just a dead weight staying down deep it the current. when they are alive if turn there head they will swim up but when there dead and you cant turn there head its just dead weight in the current almost impossible to bring up a solid fish unless your fishing reel big tackle

Was your line straight up and down when she went deep? If so you need to drive the boat away to get a nice angle on the line to the fish (of course that's if you have enough line to do so) and plane her up, you have next to no hope without some degree of angle on the line. Its a hard pill to swallow when you miss out on a great fish however keep at it mate and the rewards will follow.

Tight lines!

That must have been heart breaking for you.. Don't jump to conclusions that it was dead thou. On 37kg you probably would have still been able to winch it up with the right drag pressure. We fought & tagged a 300+ kg blue 2 seasons ago off Port Stephens. It took the angler almost 4 hours to get the fish up & dragged us 12 miles to sea from where we hooked it after we tried every trick in the book to get it's head up. It took it's first jump after 3.75 hours right at the back of the boat on the leader & that's when we realized how big it was.

But yes it could have died... did it jump much at the start? This can often be when they exhaust themselves & go deep & die. Your report said it came up after 15 minutes so it could just have been a big crafty bugger pacing himself. There is an old saying that once you pass 3 hours fighting the fish wins the battle 90% of the time.

Hope you catch your next one!

Cheers

Damo

Edited by Reef Magic Charters

That must have been heart breaking for you.. Don't jump to conclusions that it was dead thou. On 37kg you probably would have still been able to winch it up with the right drag pressure. We fought & tagged a 300+ kg blue 2 seasons ago off Port Stephens. It took the angler almost 4 hours to get the fish up & dragged us 12 miles to sea from where we hooked it after we tried every trick in the book to get it's head up. It took it's first jump after 3.75 hours right at the back of the boat on the leader & that's when we realized how big it was.

But yes it could have died... did it jump much at the start? This can often be when they exhaust themselves & go deep & die. Your report said it came up after 15 minutes so it could just have been a big crafty bugger pacing himself. There is an old saying that once you pass 3 hours fighting the fish wins the battle 90% of the time.

Hope you catch your next one!

Cheers

Damo

jumped once at aroun the 15min mark and a second time prob around the 30min mark, both times skipped across the surface for dunno i guess 50m!! im just not experienced enough, when i saw the spool empty, i realised all my knowledge of fishing is meaningless!!

Excellent report, I don't know what worse not turning a reel last Saturday off Sydney or your story.

i guess the only way to learn is thru experience, so i say my story, then again u come home a bit down, im still depressed lol

Really good report, brand new to game fishing and learnt a lot from reading this post,

Congratulations for hooking up, this is a achievement in itself and staying hooked up to a blue from what I am told is not easy so you did extremely well and should be happy

Hope this fish did not die, I did not know that this was common

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

That's really tough, in every sense of the word. I had a similar experience in Mexico (NE of Cabo in the Sea of Cortez) when I hooked a blue. Not as big as yours, only 91Kg. It got tail-wrapped about 20 minutes into the fight, although I didn't know at the time. The next 30 minutes were as tough as I've had to fight. When I got it to the boat, the fish was clearly dead, so we brought it in and weighed it (then gave away a lot of the fish and smoked the rest - delicious).

As I was getting the fish close to the boat and not knowing it was dead, I said to my wife:

"I hope this fish doesn't have another run in him, because I don't have another run in me!"

It sounds from your report that you did everything right. At least now you have the experience of fighting a big marlin, and know some of the things that can happen. You'll be so much more confident on the next one, so good luck and keep trying.