bonito off the rocks

fisholb

Just letting everyone know that the bonito were at port kembla and avoca last sunday. My mate bagged out within 1hr at port kembla sunday morning. My other mate went to avoca sunday and bagged out on the bonito too. My mate at port kembla caught the bonito on squid skirts while my mate at avoca used pillys. The bonito at avoca were big. Average 2/3kg.

Good effort. I did OK on the bonito the other week trolling in close from Barrenjoey to Whale Beach. I'll be targeting bonito again soon, I hope. This is the lure that has been working well for me. I don't what make the lure is and I can't find another anywhere. I probably won it in a fishing club raffle or found it on the cover of a magazine!

ny8upyqa.jpg

Baz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Berleyguts

Good effort. I did OK on the bonito the other week trolling in close from Barrenjoey to Whale Beach. I'll be targeting bonito again soon, I hope. This is the lure that has been working well for me. I don't what make the lure is and I can't find another anywhere. I probably won it in a fishing club raffle or found it on the cover of a magazine!

ny8upyqa.jpg

Baz

X-Rap in Glass Ghost colour

Posted Image

Baz

How fast do you troll this lure? I've had it out a couple of times and haven't had any luck with it. I was sitting around 4.5kt

Cheers,

Dan

How fast do you troll this lure? I've had it out a couple of times and haven't had any luck with it. I was sitting around 4.5kt

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Dan,

I've been trolling it at around 5-6 knots, speed taken off my GPS. It will troll faster but I found that the best action and results were around 6 knots. I tend to troll a few knots faster when I'm also trolling a Xmas tree or similar (or I'm in a hurry) but then I struggle dealing with a hookup and retrieving the other lure(s) fishing on my own!

Best results I had were trolling 50m or closer to the rocks, particularly along the fringes of the wash. Just be careful and watch for bommies etc.

Cheers,

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts