Scarred for life

Fab1

It's been a horrible day at work today as a fellow workmate has had a horrendous accident involving a block of glass falling on him weighing 3150kg causing a huge laceration across his face and back and is now in intensive care at st vincent hospital.

A group of us just came back from there and his situation is very critical.

He is a 34 year old man with 2 daughters and a wife.

There is a investigation going on at the moment to find the root cause of this incident.

What ever field of work anyones in please take care and think through your actions.

In one of the photos you'll see his hardhats final resting place.

Take CARE out there guys no job is worth these terrible injuries or death.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Just had report come in from management that he's out of surgery after receiving 386 internal and external stitches and is know in a stable condition.

We crane, cut, machine blocks of glass weighing over 5 tonne on a daily basis and at anytime something can go drastically wrong.

Safety, safety, safety I can't say it enough.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

So true Fab1. I work with heavy industrial machinery and bulk stone/sand/soil man some guys are just careless. Gotta stay sharp. Even then accidents happen.

Thoughts are with him and his family. And with you guys his coworkers.

Cheers

Witha

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

It only takes one second from one day to end one life. Apart from the injuries and the suddenness I urge people to think about how this man's entire life and that of everyone involved with him has changed forever.

The most important WH&S law is Murphy's Law.

Side question.... Do those glass sheets weight over 3 tonne each? Wow.

Unfortunately, it is inevitable that accidents will happen in the workplace. When you think of it, why not? So many variables at work and no one person attending to all those little things, despite the best of training to make all personnel aware of the ambient dangers. Unlike at home where it is more viable to control conditions around the house and yard due to better communication between family members who are looking out for one another in a smaller environment. (In most cases, anyway.)

Nonetheless, this kind of accident sends chills throughout the workplace and rocks the confidence of the workers who were unlucky enough to be there at the time.

All the best to the victim and his friends and family and, on behalf of fellow raiders, our hopes for a speedy recovery for all.

It only takes one second from one day to end one life. Apart from the injuries and the suddenness I urge people to think about how this man's entire life and that of everyone involved with him has changed forever.

The most important WH&S law is Murphy's Law.

Side question.... Do those glass sheets weight over 3 tonne each? Wow.

One sheet weighs 450kg,7 fell at once,30 on 1 block,each 6mm thick.

• 2 weeks later...

Safety is everyone's responsibility, I often cringe at seeing young people, particularly girls, riding pillion on a motorbike where the guy is wearing just a singlet and the girl not much more. If they came off they would be scarred for life.

Having been in positions to influence safety at work I know what is involved, often there is no clear cut reason for accidents happening but I do know that regardless of the facts managers/supervisors generally face nightmares thinking "could I have done anything to prevent this happening"

Hope that your colleague comes through AOK.

Regards

Paikea

Well said Paikea.

Unfortunately there's still the mentality in a lot of workplaces that people for one reason or another don,t care or are afraid to speak up and go about life worrying about themselves.

I've told our ceo he needs to piss off outside the factory(exact words) and put on ppe before he came back inside explaining why.

And guess what thats exactly what he did before returning an hour later.

He then proceeded to ask me if I knew who he was.

I told him I know who you are and to be honest I dont care if it's you or the cleaner we're all the same here and need to look out for one another and follow the company policy.

To be honest I thought i'd be looking for another job, but to my amazement he went back to his office returning with his personal checkbook handing me a cheque for a grand recomending i take the family out to dinner somewhere nice on him.

Now this bloke is earning nearly 2 million bucks a year and if I can tell him and everyone else I see doing the wrong thing anyone can.

All of us need to speak up, it just might save someone one day.

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk