Port hacking kayak squiding

dale91

Having only caught 1 squid previously and lrecently spending money on a shimano catana 3-5 kg with a sienna 2500, spooling braided line and flurocarbon leader, I thought I would buy myself a yamashita 2.5 squid rig.

I borrowed my brothers girlfriends kayak and got on the water around mid day Saturday: the skys were cloudy and there was a constant drizzle of rain but the water was glass.

I headed out towards main bar catching a bream, baby snapper and a tiny unknown rockfish on squid before I thought id wet the new rig at the end if burraneer headland.

On my first cast I waited 2 seconds and I was on!! Pulled in a big green eye. 2nd cast, i flicked the rod a few times and I was on again, same for my 3rd cast.

I ended up spending an hour and a half before I had to leave and I landed 8 squid which fed the family for the night! After skinning them and cutting them up, I marinated them in chilli , olive oil, garlic and lemon before frying them! They definitely tasted better knowing I caught them myself!

Was an awesome experience.

Hey guys it was a 10g very multicolored with orange on the bottom on blue red and green through the rest.

I can put up a photo but I'm just not sure how to on my iPhone.

Sorry hope that helps haha

Was such an awesome feeling, went for an hour paddle yesterday and caught one as well