Good deed for the day?

big Neil

Hi all, went down to the Murrumbidgee to catch a few and met 2 "grey nomads" at the boat ramp. We got talking and the husband said that he'd never fished fresh water before, so I offered to take him out with me "for an hour". 3 hours later we returned to the ramp with he having 1 Trout Cod and 3 Murray Cod and me having 3 Murray Cod. Dropped him off and took his wife out and she managed a nice little Murray Cod too...I managed 0 , though I did get busted off by a decent fish which got to the snag before I could turn it. Anyway we had a few cold ones and I made the half hour trip home with a couple of new friends.post-20708-0-00208800-1393263988_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-21781000-1393264036_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-56522800-1393264069_thumb.jpg

img 2231 is the Trout Cod. All fish returned to grow bigger...till next time. Cheers, Neil.

Thank you all for your nice comments, guys. I have recently started exploring the Murrumbidgee at Narrandera where there is a Fisheries Breeding place and they restock Murray Cod and Trout Cod every year. Trout Cod are still on the endangered list and I don't know the extent of their range once introduced into the system. Suffice to say that at 50cm plus these Trout Cod would have to have survived at least 7 years or so...if their growth rate is similar to the Murray Cod. I catch most fish on 1cm cubes of matured cheddar cheese and in fact I've experimented extensively with a paternoster rig loaded with cheese on 1 hook and any combination of "natural " baits (shrimps, yabbies, worms) on the other. Invariably it's the cheese that gets hammered. Caught a few Cod the other day that had tags in them but because I don't take my reading glasses fishing with me I was unable to report the information to Fisheries...lol. Heading out again today hoping (fingers crossed) to get one of the ones that keep busting me off in the snags. Watch this space (lol). Neil.

Yesterday saw very different conditions at Narrandera. The river was down at least a metre and had very little run happening so I knew I was going to have a hard time getting amongst them. However all was not lost and I moved from 1 snag to another picking up a fish each time. Managed 4 of the 5 possible species...all caught on cheese (even though I was using shrimp also). Managed to get Trout Cod, Murray Cod, Carp and Silver Perch. Once again no Yellowbelly (Golden Perch). It's been almost 6 months since I last caught a Golden Perch and that was only 15 cms long???? Where are they? More investigation needed to answer that one, I'm afraid. Anyway it was a hard day but I still managed a total of 11. Neil. Ps...it's good to note that the Trout Cod and Silver Perch are appearing more regularly in larger sizes. They are both listed as endangered, but are obviously doing ok in this neck of the river. Have caught 2 Silver Perch this week, well over 30 cms and very healthy.

• 2 weeks later...

Luderick angler... I have a daughter at Wellington and have occasionally fished the Macquarie River but only got Yellas and Carp. What part of it are the Trout Cod showing up in? Do you ever fish Burrendong or Windamere? Neil.

Mate the trout cod are showing up in Bathurst.itself along with Murray also near the junction of the turon. Have been told the turon is well stocked by the CAS boys and there's some good murrays in its deep holes below turondale and sofala. Never dished the dams I a real trout fanatic for fresh water stuff how sat from the tumut confluence on the bidgee are you? See trout as far as that at times and lower! Need to get your way to crack a few murrays on the fly! And a trout cod is on the bucket list such a marvellous looking native by far prettier than any other we have dare say bass included!