Lake Illawarra Round 2

Tulz

I hit Lake Illawarra again early this morning. High at the bridge was at 530 so I was up early and flicking my first plastic right on 5.

I've been trying to land my first Jew on plastic and that was my plan of attack again this morning. Although I haven't had any luck with Jews on plastics, Flatties are always willing to jump on a lure intended for a Jew and make for a welcome by-catch. I'm finding it more enjoyable than soaking bait for a Jew.

The conditions were great with a few fish jumping around although I didn't manage anything again. Only a couple of bumps on the plastics including one massive hit that shook the rod tip. It destroyed the plastic and unfortunately missed the hook. I couldn't tell what it was but it was solid. Someone more experienced than me may be able to tell looking at the pic below. It left some nice teeth marks right down to the tip of the tail. I'm thinking either Flattie or Jew.

post-22681-0-96899500-1393277806_thumb.jpg

Yeah Tailor are responsible for destroying plastics and i've been on the receiving end of this a few times. Just the way the lure got hit had me thinking something other than a Tailor.

That color is a favorite of mine when targeting Flatties and is a bit of a "go to" when nothing else is working.

A few folk seem to think it was tailor but my money is on a jew for a couple of reasons.

1) The plastic is still in one piece,

2) tailor hit pretty well but the do not have massive hits unless they are quite big,

3) the teeth marks are well spaced, much further apart than tailor.

It was definitely not a flathead though.

Luc.