Kayaking first timer

Fab1

Hi guys,

Im after some info on how to get into kayaking for a workmate.

Talking to him I was told he'd like to give it a go fishing in the estuaries for the usual species.

If it, s much help he weighs 120kg and is 6ft4. (Don't think someone's stealing his yak.lol.)

Basically what type/brand/size.

Must haves.

And anything else that you guys can think of.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

Hey mate,

There is a warehouse in taren point he can go and check out. For me at that height and weight I wouldn't get anything under 12". The $400.00 cheapies in the online store would be no good for him as some of them only have a max weight of 130kg. There are some good ones around the $600.00 that are non branded terrapin xl that are not too bad. They sell the terrapin at taren point.

It also depends on how much he wants to spend as well.

Hope this kinda helps.

Cheers matt

Thanks mate,

I forgot to mention that he's prepared to pay and has looked online from the cheapies to the good ones but is more concerned about the size/stability and what you all recommend for fitting this thing out with and what can wait.

I've never been on one so I can't advise him too much other than state the obvious like no regos, fuel, stealth etc compared to a boat.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

I couldn't tell you about the cheepie options. I went straight for a hobie revolution. Hands free fishing was the most important thing for me. If he wants to paddle native watercraft are a good option also. But if he wants to be able to use both hands while fishing without the added costs of a watersnake a hobie outback or even a pa12 would work well.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Edited by sittingaround01

I got the scorpio terrapin xl as I'm 6'2" and bout 115, I was on a but of a budget and so far love the yak. Incredibly stable etc you don't "feel' like you're too big as I did in some others

Cheers

Witha

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk