Need to find yellowtail for bait! Please help!

Tome

Hey all,

Can someone point me in the right direction for a location (must be land-based) where I can find some yellowtail for bait?

I am looking for areas around North Sydney (Milsons Point, McMahons Point, Mosman etc) as I will be fishing around that area and would be easy to keep alive.

Also, it is possible to catch them at night? I've tried a few times with no success.

Hi Mate,

I can't help you with landbased yakka spots but it is very tough going at night, even from the boat they are hard to find after dark. Best time is first thing in the morning, the earlier the better as long as it's not pitch dark.

Thanks for the advice mate, I appreciate it :)

Problem is, we like to fish the sunset/evening during weekdays and I cannot get out there in the mornings to catch the yakkas. Was hoping there's a spot where we can get them even in the later arvo (say 5-7pm).

Get yourself a milkshake maker shaker cup - put a bit of bread it in and shake it like crazy - you end up with a sloppy mess of bready water .. pour it bit by bit into the water to get the yakkas to the surface - then drop in a sabiki rig with a tiny bit of prawn on each little hook. The smaller the hook the better I find - you dont need to strike - when you feel them on the line just lift the rod slightly and they hook themselves most of the time. If the prawn is bigger than a pea it is too big.

Any wharf will hold yakkas

Edited by RichieR

Get yourself a milkshake maker shaker cup - put a bit of bread it in and shake it like crazy - you end up with a sloppy mess of bready water .. pour it bit by bit into the water to get the yakkas to the surface - then drop in a sabiki rig with a tiny bit of prawn on each little hook. The smaller the hook the better I find - you dont need to strike - when you feel them on the line just lift the rod slightly and they hook themselves most of the time. If the prawn is bigger than a pea it is too big.

Any wharf will hold yakkas

+1

I was going to say exactly what Richie posted. Tiny pieces of pillies also work. As mentioned above no need to strike, just lift your rod and keep the pressure on.

Bread berley is the key, just drop a berley bucket in the water and leave it there even.

I find getting them at night is the easiest.

+1

I was going to say exactly what Richie posted. Tiny pieces of pillies also work. As mentioned above no need to strike, just lift your rod and keep the pressure on.

Bread berley is the key, just drop a berley bucket in the water and leave it there even.

I find getting them at night is the easiest.

+2. Especially if you can find a well lit wharf. Berley is essential.

Cheers scratchie!!!