Port Hacking - a couple of fish

Yowie

Fished the deep off Lilli Pilli this morning. Caught the tailor on pillies, plus a nice little jew that put up a bit of a fight, but measured at 66cm, so it went back to grow that bit extra for next time.

For the first time in a few years, a few small slimy mackerel turned up, so I filleted one and the reddies were quick to grab those baits. Then the bites stopped, the mackerel disappeared, along with the pillies that were also biting, and not another decent bite after that. Some baits were chewed off without the line moving, so maybe a few small jackets were about.

Moved to near the shore and picked up the squid on a jig.

The water is rather clear again, could see the nipper holes on the bottom where it was 5 to 6 metres deep. A few frigates chased a lure, but no hits. Also appeared to be a school of small kings splashing about near the bait fish.

post-13153-0-68802200-1394508474_thumb.jpg

Not wrong about the water clarity, Yowie. I just got back from Wally's and the bottom was clear 15meters out from the pontoon. However, I did get smashed by what I now think was a good kingy. It stripped the spool of the 12lb braid and 30 meters of 8lb mono backing........twice! Then it put on a power burst and snapped the mono. Best fight of my life! I picked up a nice 26cm bream and returned him unharmed. A good day in the Port between the two of us.

I picked up a nice 32cm bream on the sand flats near ballast heap with others on the verge of legal released. Re rigging and watching a roughly 50cm flatty swim buy was frustrating with nothing in the water to tempt it.

Good feed Dave entrée and main :sun::sun: :sun:

Chris.

It's a feed Chris. Was thinking of hooking up one of the slimies, but they usually swim around in circles and around the other lines.

Also saw a small turtle cruising the shallows, less than half a metre across the shell.

Dave.

Edited by yowie

Fished off Wanda with a mate yesterday for 9 flathead on pillies and whitebait. Had to work hard for them, I think the trawlers are giving the area a bit of a hiding.

Will try "The Bay" next week for something different.

Cheers

Nice feed Yowie

The Hacking nearly always produces something, especially for you.

The main thing is to fish real early (as you have demonstrated) or dusk but the wind is usually a problem late afternoon.

If the dollies disappear or the weather gets bad I'll fish the Hacking again soon and try to catch up with you

on the water just to say hello. Tuesday appears to be your most common day. Which is the day I usually go fishing. Yesterday I spent offshore and kept a feed of dollies.

Keep the reports coming makes me keen to get back into the estuary.

Bruce

Nice feed Yowie

The Hacking nearly always produces something, especially for you.

The main thing is to fish real early (as you have demonstrated) or dusk but the wind is usually a problem late afternoon.

If the dollies disappear or the weather gets bad I'll fish the Hacking again soon and try to catch up with you

on the water just to say hello. Tuesday appears to be your most common day. Which is the day I usually go fishing. Yesterday I spent offshore and kept a feed of dollies.

Keep the reports coming makes me keen to get back into the estuary.

Bruce

The fishing day I pick ends with a 'y'.

Just depends on the tide, weather, what I want to fish for, what I have to do at home, etc.

At least you also managed a nice feed.

Fishing the deeper water at present with the clear conditions usually means trying while the sun is still hiding behind the horizon.

Hi Dave,

That's probably the turtle that is usually resident in Burraneer Bay. I have seen it several occasions last 2 years.

Regards Kit

Have seen a similar sized one over the last few years, around Lilli Pilli, the main channel and South West Arm at different times. Probably a few cruising about.

The biggest one I saw some years ago, only popped it's head out of the water for a breath of air, but the head was near the size of a large grapefruit.

Have seen a similar sized one over the last few years, around Lilli Pilli, the main channel and South West Arm at different times. Probably a few cruising about.

The biggest one I saw some years ago, only popped it's head out of the water for a breath of air, but the head was near the size of a large grapefruit.

Nice bag there yowie, I saw one in gymea bay back in 2012 that was huge, it was over 1 m long and was just cruising on the surface, amazing creatures.