Carp and Redfin tips?

archdog

Hi all, a mate of mine wants to head out on the weekend and target carp and redfin, but I've never caught (let alone targeted!) these species before. Can anyone please offer any tips?

Will I catch them both on the same baits or will I need separate baits for both?

Thanks!

Hi Archdog. Where are you fishing...river, lake or dam? One bait that works really well on both Carp and Redfin is worms (good old earthworms). Best fished as a bottom fishing rig ie hook at the end of the line and a sinker with either a split shot or swivel set about 30 cms above the hook. If there are freshwater shrimps in the water that you are fishing ,they are also good baits. Maggots also work well. If you want something different you can suspend any of these baits under a light float so that they sit close to the bottom. This method can be good if there is a slow run in a river and you can cover more water. Fish as light as possible and use size 10 to size 14 hooks. Good luck, Big Neil.

Thanks Neil. We will be fishing in a river. Looks like I'll be raiding the worm farm! I might also just try a few lures to see if I can catch a redfin for lunch, then get out the corn and try to catch a nice big carp.

Redfin react aggressively to dark soft plastics with red somewhere on them ,fished on a light jig head. If ur fishing for Carp specifically then bread is a killer bait. Take 2 slices, wet 1 then blend the other into it, squeezing the excess water out until you have a fairly firm ball of bread. I use the same bottom fishing rig but with a bigger hook (size 2/0) and cover the entire hook inside the bait. Cheers, Big Neil.

• 5 years later...

Earthworms are great for both. Redfin are very aggressive and will take most small to medium lures or soft plastics they also love small freshwater yabbies you can catch them by walking along bank slowly lifting up rocks in shallow water and slowly grab them from behind 

Redfin if present in the area you are fishing should be quite numerous, small soft plastics or hardbodies that have colour patterns that look like Redfin are the best way to target them. Although I do prefer the soft plastics over the Redfin. All lures should be retrieved with a very slow wind without change, do not flick the lure of change the speed when you get bites on the lure just wait for the line to load up before you lust slightly add a little more tention on the line to make sure the hook is in well. DO NOT strike hard. Redfin are quite aggressive and when one is being reeled in cast right next to you line because you almost will definitely get a double hookup since other Redfin almost always follow up their hooked mates to try and eat the bait they took. 

If fishing in an area where natives are present my recommendation is to take them home for food since Redfin are great eating and are quite a pest although if you wish it is not illegal to release them as long as the are put back straightaway the illegality is keeping them alive in your possession. 

The single best bait I use to clean up carp to date is canned corn kernels, the spot I fish has nothing but carp, thanks to the carp! Just a small running sinker to a swivel with a 50cm leader to a small hook that can be concealed within 3 kernels, just leaving the tip and barb exposed. I keep a tight line and in the still waters I fish just watch for any movement as they will sit on and chew the bait off your hook if they are not schooled competing for the bait. 

The Redfin I have targeted around Goulburn seem to hit anything that moves even if physically larger than themselves, but as mentioned above dark plastics seem to produce the most, I use zman 2” black curl tailed grubs, or any suspended diving minnow.

below is 5 of the 27 caught over 5 hours and a few beers on the river

083826B0-0EF6-4631-A7DB-2A7D4B1EB0CE.jpeg

• Like 1