Fishing an x-rap - tips please

dacosta74

Hi Raiders.

Bit of an odd one. A few weeks ago I tried out my Xmas pressie, at smallish x-rap (either 10ft or 10metre). And I hooked onto 2 rats off my kayak.

So, I had some time off and ventured out in a tinnie that I hired. For some reason, just couldn't get the x-rap to dive down, it was just spinning around just under the surface.

Really frustrating because I didn't realise until I'd been towing it around for 3 hours!!!

Any hints or tips on how to fish it best? I had braid on the reel, then 20lb leader, swivel, and connected to x-rap with split ring.

The previous time i was on much lighter gear, maybe 12lb leader and much lighter rod. But due to the success I convinced myself I was going to catch a whopper so beefed everything up. Is that where I failed?

Oh and speed wise, it was a 15hp outboard, and i was trying everything from kayaking pace, to a bit faster.

Help appreciated.

Thanks.

I have used them for years and troll 6-7 knots. I find with the shallow divers you really have to keep the rod tip down especially in choppy sea or they will pop up. They are the bees knees though, my halco lasers have not been touched all season and last sesh the little xrap went 10 nil vs the laser on the dollies!

Hi Raiders.

Bit of an odd one. A few weeks ago I tried out my Xmas pressie, at smallish x-rap (either 10ft or 10metre). And I hooked onto 2 rats off my kayak.

So, I had some time off and ventured out in a tinnie that I hired. For some reason, just couldn't get the x-rap to dive down, it was just spinning around just under the surface.

Really frustrating because I didn't realise until I'd been towing it around for 3 hours!!!

Any hints or tips on how to fish it best? I had braid on the reel, then 20lb leader, swivel, and connected to x-rap with split ring.

The previous time i was on much lighter gear, maybe 12lb leader and much lighter rod. But due to the success I convinced myself I was going to catch a whopper so beefed everything up. Is that where I failed?

Oh and speed wise, it was a 15hp outboard, and i was trying everything from kayaking pace, to a bit faster.

Help appreciated.

Thanks.

Sounds like there is something out of whack with the lure. The bib, tow point, hooks or something is out of shape or unbalanced. It may have happened when you caught the last fish on it.

My 'rule' is any lure that's about to hit the water for the first time of the day and especially when it is a new lure is to trial it beside the boat first where you can see it.

i use both rapala and halcos all the time, both have been excellent.....simple rules to follow...the choppier the water the slower you go, if it bounces, reduce the angle or slow down. Always test it boatside b4 you let out and check it regularly. Make sure ur rod tip is vibrating nicely, thats when its swimming right. Usually on the smaller lures you want to only go 4-5knots. I find the smaller and shallower swimming ones catch me more than the larger deep divers(around the heads)

Finally always troll a redhead in your spread & they're patchy but theyre there

post-18783-0-36842400-1395274164_thumb.jpg

This is a great topic - Lots of good info here.

How far out from the back of the boat should you troll them ?
Also - is there any point cubing pilchards and doing big circles to attract fish to the area you are trolling ??

never cared for them 'til my local japanese rest served them once on a sashimi plate. Ask him how he prepares and he said salt both sides(skin on) and sear on hot plate for 5seconds either side then straight into a ice slurry. Serve as sashimi, tastes great!

i say, if this lure doesnt catch them they're not there!! and thats for bonnies, dollies, kingies, salmon & tailor...actually caught a strip tuna on it last week too. Id be keen to hear what other colours people are having luck with, ive had best luck with the RH and the other is a greyish coloured one with a red head and a orange/gold coloured one with a RH