Murrays Beach Squid Jigging and Surprise Blue Swimmers

calvinching

Good Morning Raiders,

This topic might not interest everyone and I think i am nobody to brag in front of every experienced raiders here, however, would like to share some joy here.

Went to my usual spot on the weekend 6pm, tried on my squid jig but to no avail. Met a guy down there who got a couple squids and was thinking if I should get some tutorial from him. As he is trying to give me some tips I have got this squid! Stoked! In fact I got 2 small ones on Saturday but this is my 3rd Squid in my life!

On the other hand, I flick a sp trying to catch a flathead (which i never had in my life too ), tried prob 50 throws but i get nothing, was gonna give a couple more and decided to call it a day. Tried to reel it back and thought i got a snag again and I was like god damn it i dun wanna lost my jig head and sp.. but I was actually moving something back! Might be just weeds or other stupid things in the water but I got this big swimmers...

I would like to thank Scratchie for his tips and guidance on my rods,reel and braid selection.. thanks Scratchie, fireline is not good, but simply bloody good...

Calvin.

post-32580-0-56262500-1395616579_thumb.jpg

post-32580-0-04010300-1395616848_thumb.jpg

Nice catch. Where abouts are you from. I can help you out with a couple of spots

Thank Groper,

I based in Newcastle, do you jig there as well? Well, I travel to sydney often too, dont mind you to share me those spots as well.

:D

That wharf used to be nice to fish at until the bogans and drunks made a mess of it and houses around there got tired of the noise and swearing and mess, now all the lights are turned off at night, quite a shame because it used to be so nice down there.

yeah @catching jack, is pretty shitty now since we cant get any lights at night apparently the lights all broken. I haven seen anyone catching big 1 there but heard a lot of stories.

@davetheboy, pm me anytime I can be your buddy I fish 7 days a week!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Great work Calvin. That is a good size green eye you have there and that blue swimmer is something to be chuffed at too. I am still yet to come across one of those. Very well done mate. I am sure you will be able to find many more from this point.

Just a tip or 5 also...

Squid can be caught at any time of day or night, some of my best squid catches have been in the middle of the day believe it or not.

Natural colours work best during the day, oranges are good for murky water and bright pinks and greens are great for low light levels.

If you are there at night take a bright torch with you and shine it in the water... The squid love light at night and are attracted to it.

Also don't be afraid to up your leader size to 16-20lb. Squid are not leader shy and if you get caught on the bottom it will drag your jig out of most places by bending the spikes before breaking your leader resulting in alot less lost jigs. All you have to do it bend them back into shape.

Use a loop knot aka Rapala knot to tie your leader to your jig. It allows the jig to sit better in the water and is not as stiff as the locked blood or uni knot allowing a better action when retrieved.

Hope this helps and we see more from you soon.

Congrats.

Luc.

Thanks Luc.

I guess I am using the Rapala knot as you mentioned, it tends to work better, the only thing is the guy next to me had a small weight on my jig as well and said it works better and sinks faster, I forget how he actually attach the sinker together with a rapala knot, do you or any raiders have any idea how to do this?

Cheer Cal

Mate you don't want to sink the jig faster, not only will it destroy the sitting position of the jig in the water but it won't waft and act like the prawn or fish it is imitatating. They all have inbuilt weights for this purpose. You are best to just use it normally for optimal results.

If the water is very deep & squid holding on the bottom you can always try paternoster rig (weight at the bottom of your line & the jig on a dropper slightly further up) - this will ensure you get depth, but also keep that jig working as it is designed to do.

The lights there are not broken, due to the number of complaints from local residents about the riff raff and noise at night etc the timer for the lights has been turned off, always a minority wrecking it for everyone, thing is the riff raff were locals to the area, just from other suburbs and usually under 20yrs old.

There's plenty of squid around Pulbah Island if you have a boat.