Sydney Botany Bay Oil Spill by Caltex

nbh00d

Hey guys just overheard this from other fisho that there was an oil spill in Botany Bay today. What makes this even more disgusting is apparently Caltex used tugs to drive over the spill to cover it up. I am so surprised I have not seen this on the news yet and where are the greenies???? If anyone got more intel please share and update.
To find out more click here:
https://www.facebook.com/stan.ksecretary/posts/10152087409927638
1173786_10152087451327638_2039158813_n.j

Yep, it's been doing the rounds on social media all night. Will be surprised if we don't hear about it on the TV news tomorrow. Although anglers aren't perfect, the majority do the right thing and clean up after themselves. This kind of environmental disaster however is just a kick in the guts to anglers, waterway and wildlife. I'm interested to find out exactly how this spill happened there's gonna be a lot of unimpressed people if the source of it is negligence.

Guest no one

Before we gather the pitch forks and torches... Do we know how bad it is or if it is contained at all?

If its not been contained and the spill was substantial the there goes that spot for a good year... Wouldn't be eating any fish from Botany Bay for a long long time!

Wonder if we could go round their houses and pour a cup full of fuel over their dinner every night for the next year. Sure they'd have something to say then!

Information posted on MMM facebook page:

This is the statement that Caltex Australia Petroleum sent us after we showed them this photo: "A heavy rain event yesterday led to a small release of oily water from the Kurnell Refinery into Botany Bay. Caltex contained and dispersed this small oil release in conjunction with Sydney Ports Corporation. This morning, Caltex, along with Sydney Ports Corporation, have inspected both the north and south side of Botany Bay by boat, and also by foot along the beach front. No odour or sheen was detected and all appears to now be clear. Booms will remain in place on the south side of the Bay for at least another tide change as a precaution only. All relevant authorities have been notified."

Statement by the Recreational Fishing Alliance of NSW: "The Recreational Fishing Alliance and many fishing clubs that are located around and fish Botany Bay regularly are greatly concerned with the initial discovery of such when a local recreational fisher alerted others at 5pm yesterday afternoon of an oil slick and extreme fuel odour that was in the air across lower Botany Bay. At closer observation as anglers gathered on the northern shores of this great Recreational Fishing Haven which was created when recreational fishers supported a $10million voluntary commercial fishing buy out in early 2000, we now wonder how much the investment has been further devalued and what are the immediate and long term impacts in the Bay. Anglers became increasingly concerned as they took photos and notice what was missing out on the Bay, there was a lack of ‘on water emergency response oil spill units’ from Caltex and the Ports Authority. The oil/fuel spill stretched from Caltex Oil Wharf across the Bay around Bare Island and heading into Congwong Bay, and around the northern headland, at 5.55pm the first Ports Oil Spill Response boat appeared and then joined by 2 Caltex boats driving through and around assessing the extent of the oil spill, it’s was clear that they stayed away from the northern shoreline and beached where more and fishers and the public were gathering watching the wind drift oil spill wash up on the local beaches, the white sand being covered with an increasing oily scum and sludge."

Guest no one

So its a typical "Nobody saw it, it never happened" response rather than a "Hey guys, look, we FU****D up... really sorry about that, how can we help?"

Why do these companies never pay for what they do?

"No odour or sheen was detected" - I take it they have tasted the fish too?

I'd like to gather the pitch forks and torches now and march on their gas stations!

I think we should all submit our concern to the EPA.

From viewing the smh feature which has photos of the oil, caltex and EPA have said it is a light sheen. Those photos show a thick product and it seems apparent the EPA are not taking this seriously enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saw a report about the oil spill in the gulf of mexico causing deformities in the sea life, also another about the radiation leak over in japan getting into the tuna population, while that is worse then what happened in the bay you cant be to careful.

Edited by kikila

I think we should all submit our concern to the EPA.

From viewing the smh feature which has photos of the oil, caltex and EPA have said it is a light sheen. Those photos show a thick product and it seems apparent the EPA are not taking this seriously enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't the EPA look like a bunch of fools saying its a light sheen, when as DanRob mentioned there's photographic evidence to say otherwise.

The EPA will be forced to take action sooner or later, let's hope it's sooner rather than later.

Why are they pretending like it didn't happen?

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...