Looooong Tom

Grantm

Hit Lake Macquarie on Saturday for a day out with the missus, the wind was up the weather was crappy but we went anyway.

Found some semi quiet ground and went on a Flathead hunt. We did pick up a few flatties and tailor but highlight of the day was Longtom I launched into.

Fishing in less than half a meter right in the shallows the wind was a pain and blowing us into shore, as I went to reposion the boat my rod went off and I mean OFF. I barely had hold of it and it starting loosing line real quick, and I was thinking wow this is going hard for a flattie :1yikes:

Wrong ! Three very hard runs and a big splash my eyes nearly popped out as I saw monster Long tom on my line.

The fish made a succession of hard runs and was an awsome fight, with the missus doing an unbelievable job manouvering the boat off the flats and out of the mangroves the whole time, with no real boating experience.

Hooked a few before but never landed one and never seen one of this size.

It hooked deep and lost a lot of blood and when boated lost more, the inside of my boat looked like a crime scene making the fish unreleasable which was a shame, so I ate it. It would have wanted it that way. :biggrin2:

Went 106 cm caught on a gulp grub

post-229-1125232223_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grantm

Guest Jocool

Their awesome, aren't they Grant? Just like a mini marlin. You can lay claim to catching a beakie of your boat now. :074::074:

I remember years ago we used to catch tonnes of them in Lake Munmorah. Never really kept many to eat as they had a distinct nutty taste which didn't sit well with me. Did it taste OK?

Edited by Jocool

Never really kept many to eat as they had a distinct nutty taste which didn't sit well with me. Did it taste OK?

64265[/snapback]

Wouldnt rate it as the best table fish around but ive had worse. The meat on the main body skinned and fillited was fine, the underside was nutty as you said, and the tail section although boneless was quite pink in colour and not as good as the main fillets. Definatley better skinned for sure. Was good to try anyway.

Yeah a Beakie in my boat :074: Tell you what you dont want to put your fingers in that mouth. :1yikes:

Nice work... They sure put on a fight for there size... A 1m specimen must have been a handfull on light gear! :1yikes:

I have never seen one that big, last time i was out i landed a heap in the 25-35cm range. And as you said, you would not want to have your fingers anywhere near their teeth.

LW

:1yikes: Thats the biggest long tom ive ever seen and there aggresive too i remember catching one at Kiama when i was rock fishing we put him in a rock pool and when we put a rod tip in the water it would attack it and snap at anything that moved the funniest part was when my mate put his rod tip in for the 10th time just to piss it off it came up and bit the end clean off :074: After about 5 mins i finally composed myself only to see my mate trying to get rod tip back by trying to distract yhr longtom with bait so he could reach into the rock pool and grab it he never did get that rod tip back :074::074::074: Edited by Sharky

Guest madsmc

Nice fish Grant. I'm surprised it didn't saw through your leader! I've never caught one myself but have witnessed a few good sized ones underneath the rail bridge at Wyong. At least you got a few good fish for the day mate, I could only muster a squid over two sessions Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. :thumbdown:

I know what you mean about the wind. I didn't get out till late afternoon Saturday and it had glassed off by that stage.

madsmc

:1fishing1:

I had one jump towards the boat and just catch the lip of the boat in front of my mate's head (he was sitting down) and bounce off. Tell you what, a couple of centimetres hight and my mate would have been wearing quite the hood ornament.

Thats a big long tom Grant. As I read your post I was woundering what it must have tasted like but Joe and yourself have filled in that gap.

The only thing that can spoil a day on the water is wind. a bit of Rain and overcast are greaty days

Cheers

Great Fish. Poor mans Marlin :074:

Angry mongrels aren't they. I had a 35-40cm one launch out the water and bite down on my brand new Sic Stick pro ( at the time it was new ).

Thank god i have never caught one that big, damm thing would bite me in half with the set of dentures it has.

Cheers

lee

That is a good fish Grant, never caught one, but by your description they sound like they go hard, how's the boat going?

64509[/snapback]

Yeah loving the boat Ken, very happy with the overall package and performance, more importantly glad to be on the water on a regular basis.

Cheers :biggrin2: