Another Wednesday yak sesh: Roseville Flathead

Witha

G'day raiders!

Managed to get out on the yak again this week and headed to roseville, the aim was to throw some plastics for flathead (and yes I admit, hope for a jew.) No luck on the jew, but a lovely day on the water!Posted Image

Got to the ramp and launched (getting slightly more efficient with the load/unload) and paddled up to the pipeline and bridge for the tide change, no luck throwing directly at the pylons but drifting back down gpt this lovely specimen :)Posted Image

Went 50+ and was great fun. Using heavy gear due to the loss of my light outfit (2500 sienna 10lb braid on a 3-5kg sonic pro 1/4ounce jighead and 120mm squidgy fish in silver fox).

Paddled around aimlessly throwing for a while before skirting round up from the marina, following the outgoing tide rule of hopping the lure from shallow sandy bits into deeper water managed this nice one too Posted Image

Tied on a zman grub in motor oil (bit of a favourite) and actually got to see the strike from the next flatty! Was awesome to see the speed which it darted off the bottom to smash the lure.Posted Image

Chucking around in the same area kept seeing these brown things darting at my lure as I reeled it up for the next cast...then on the next swoop I realised...squid! Having never caught one I was excited and tied on a jig...to no avail :(

Paddled round a bit more and headed off. Great day but craving the light gear...don't fret however! later in the evening went to pick up my new bream outfit off a fellow raider (thanks Kiro was a pleasure to meet you and have a chat! Hopefully see you on the water soon)

New sustain 1000 and nitro 1-3kg so just waiting on braid and I'll be back in business.

Thanks for reading guys,

Cheers

Witha

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Also on a side note, was trialling new scotty powerlock rod holder (seen In top photo) great holder but if your rod butt isn't long enough you have to keep it inverted like I did in the photo. Think they're more designed for baitcasters. But can't fault the quality

I new the gods would smile on you. Well done. Some nice lizards there. Water looks like glass. I've done a bit of land based there, just west of the bridge around the corner. Another pretty part of Sydney. Glad you enjoyed the day.

I new the gods would smile on you. Well done. Some nice lizards there. Water looks like glass. I've done a bit of land based there, just west of the bridge around the corner. Another pretty part of Sydney. Glad you enjoyed the day.

Thanks mate yeah was lucky with the conditions wind picked up against me but by then was almost packup time :)

And cheers Big Neil :)

Edited by Witha

Well done on the flatties dude! Looks like an awesome session. You told me you were out fishing that day, you forgot to mention you cleaned up on flatties!! Nice work! Pleasure to meet you, top bloke! Waiting for your report using the new combo! Take care brother

Well done on the flatties dude! Looks like an awesome session. You told me you were out fishing that day, you forgot to mention you cleaned up on flatties!! Nice work! Pleasure to meet you, top bloke! Waiting for your report using the new combo! Take care brother

Haha thanks mate! Yeah was a heap of fun!

Literally fretting over when the braids gonna arrive for the new setup... Can't wait! Will keep you posted!

Very nice fish! I was hoping for something similar yesterday, but I've yet to get a flathead here in Australia. Just out of curio, I heard a few people mention the zman grubs on the forum, is there a shop in Sydney you can get them from? I was looking at the SPs in The Compleat Angler the other day and they didn't seem to have any. Cheers!

Very nice fish! I was hoping for something similar yesterday, but I've yet to get a flathead here in Australia. Just out of curio, I heard a few people mention the zman grubs on the forum, is there a shop in Sydney you can get them from? I was looking at the SPs in The Compleat Angler the other day and they didn't seem to have any. Cheers!

Thanks mate, and yeah they're gpod, they have a bit of a fan base on fishraider :P never been to compleat angler but majority of tackle shops I've been to have them mate, if not can usually order them online :)

Chucking around in the same area kept seeing these brown things darting at my lure as I reeled it up for the next cast...then on the next swoop I realised...squid! Having never caught one I was excited and tied on a jig...to no avail :(

G'day Witha, Great report and great flatties you got there.

just wondering where you were in relation to the marina when you saw the squid. Going to take the kids to Roseville for a fish on weekend, weather permitting, and would love to throw out a jig and see if i can get a squid for them (never caught one before but have 2 new squid jigs to try out). Not sure if i'd be better off on the Boatramp/Davidson park side or the Marina/Echo point side?

G'day Witha, Great report and great flatties you got there.

just wondering where you were in relation to the marina when you saw the squid. Going to take the kids to Roseville for a fish on weekend, weather permitting, and would love to throw out a jig and see if i can get a squid for them (never caught one before but have 2 new squid jigs to try out). Not sure if i'd be better off on the Boatramp/Davidson park side or the Marina/Echo point side?

G'day mate thanks :)

From the Davidson park side boat ramp if you look directly across the river you will see a sandy beach, which is echo park I believe, I was just off that when I saw them, within casting distance easily of the beach :) I have seen squid caught at the boat ramp in the past as well though that was at night. Give it a whirl and tell us how you go!

Cheers

Witha

well done mate sounded like fun

just wondering, what was your most successful technique for flatties

Cheers mate, standard soft plastic technique: 1-8 to 1/4 jighead let it drop, hit the bottom, either a single hop or double rip off the bottom, shallow water more subtle hops but still a twitchy sort of rip, usually a double. I'm kind of impatient so I don't pause it on the bottom that much. I wonder if i'd have more luck if I did. If any raiders wanna weigh in on that subject love some feedback :)

Hope this helps!

G'day mate thanks :)

From the Davidson park side boat ramp if you look directly across the river you will see a sandy beach, which is echo park I believe, I was just off that when I saw them, within casting distance easily of the beach :) I have seen squid caught at the boat ramp in the past as well though that was at night. Give it a whirl and tell us how you go!

Cheers

Witha

Thanks for the info Whipa. I'll give it a go tomorrow and report back :)

Nice work mate, they are some good looking flatties.

What kind of yak is that and what are they worth? I am currently having a bit of a search for one and don't have enough on the side for a Hobie but something like that with a rudder control looks about perfect for me.

Cheers for any info.

Luc.

Nice work mate, they are some good looking flatties. 

What kind of yak is that and what are they worth? I am currently having a bit of a search for one and don't have enough on the side for a Hobie but something like that with a rudder control looks about perfect for me. 

Cheers for any info.

Luc.

Hey luc, I was in the same boat (haha...) and found this one to probably be the best value for money (on the cheap side). I believe its sold under a few names, the one online is a dace pro angler. But this one I got from a shop in Taren Point (great bloke glad I got it from a brick n mortar place) under the name of Scorpio Terrapin XL. 3.85m, rudder is soooo good to have! Wouldn't be half as maneuverable otherwise. The boat alone was about 700ish I think? Got the guy to package in a proper seat (not the dodgy ones) a decent paddle, an alloy trolley for 850 I believe. So far, love the thing! Few mods to go and some adjustments but for the price its ridiculously stable and pretty quick and easy to paddle. Any questions don't hesitate to drop me a line, spent ages researching the cheapy yaks :)