Whale cull finished

The Japs already saying they may ignore the decision and they hunt whales up north already.

Came across this article below, how can they fix anything if they can't work together?

But credit due where credit IS due.

Greenpeace Seems to have Absolutely no Shame

Wow! Greenpeace just gave me the most amazing news - they shut down the whalers in the Southern Ocean.

They even addressed the news to me personally. I feel so honoured that they would take the time to personally notify me.

They notified me that Greenpeace just shut down the Japanese whale hunt in the Southern Ocean. A victory for Greenpeace they say. I am a little surprised. It had not occurred to me before receiving this illuminating message from Phil.

We have not seen them down in Southern Ocean waters since 2008. Now I would not mind if they had mentioned that Sea Shepherd had carried the ball to the finish line but according to Phil, Greenpeace did this all by their little old selves.

The problem is that the ICJ verdict has not ended whaling and we still must prepare to take our ships down to the Southern Ocean in December.

2014 will not be the first year that no whales were hunted. Greenpeace forgets that Sea Shepherd has been chasing whaling ships down there for the last four months. And Phil may be a little premature on 2015.

Phil wants you to send Greenpeace money because according the Phil, this victory in the courts was all Greenpeace's doing. No credit given to Australia or New Zealand and not a mention of Sea Shepherd's campaigns between 2002 and 2014.

According to Greenpeace, Sea Shepherd simply does not exist.

Well if the whalers do ignore the verdict and return to the Southern Ocean, it will not be Greenpeace that will be there to greet them. It will be the brave international volunteers of Sea Shepherd.

Phil this was a great victory for the whales and it is really sad that you have chosen to exploit this victory for this opportunistic pathetic plea for funds.

Perhaps Phil you can enlighten us as to what you want these donations for? You have not done anything in Antarctic waters since 2008.

Will you be there in December if the Japanese return? Most likely not.

You say you want to keep the momentum going but your momentum stopped dead in the water six years ago when you abandoned the whales of the Southern Ocean to the Japanese harpoons. Just what whales are you protecting? You are not in the Faeroes, you are not in Taiji, you are not in Iceland, you are not in Norway. Where are you Phil?

What do you mean by fully committed? Are you talking about handing out brochures, petitions etc. What is your definition of "fully committed" mean Phil?

You did not give Sea Shepherd anything but condemnation for our efforts.

You really should be ashamed of yourself.

Captain Paul Watson
Sea Shepherd Conservation Society

Letter From Phil Kline (Who has never been to the Southern Ocean)

Paul -

Jump for joy — no whaling in the Southern Ocean this year!

I have amazing news that I've waited my whole life to be able to share with you. Japan has officially cancelled all plans to hunt whales in the Southern Ocean in 2014.

This will be the first year since 1904 that no whales will be hunted in Antarctic waters.

This is huge. Today marks a phenomenal victory for whales — and for Greenpeace supporters like you who have joined together to call for an end to commercial whaling. I can only imagine that if we could communicate this news to whales — they’d also be jumping for joy.

Since 1989, Greenpeace has sent nine anti-whaling expeditions to the Antarctic. More recently, supporters like you have fought tirelessly to end the subsidies that keep commercial whaling alive and stop the unjust and unprofitable market for whale meat.

This day wouldn't have been possible without your support. Thank you!

I hope you will take the time to celebrate this great news for whales with me today. This is proof that, together, we can make real change to protect the world’s whales and the oceans that they live in.

For the whales,

Phil Kline
Senior Oceans Campaigner

P.S. Today is a huge victory for whales, but we know we still have a long road ahead. Greenpeace is fully committed to ending ALL commercial whaling — but we need your help. Please keep this momentum going with your donation today. Your support will help us in the fights ahead in 2014 — protecting endangered whales, our oceans, and our planet.

IIRC, Paul Watson was a part of Greenpeace during its inception. His hardline stance and 'get out there into their faces' approach by intercepting whaling ships was not supported by Greenpeace so thus came about Sea Shepherd. Greenpeace probably operates in the way he says they do - informing the public with brochures, petititions rather than physical action which is what Sea Shepherd thrives on. Taking physical action has legal implications so Greenpeace has distanced themselves from Sea Shepherd. In a way, it's a bad approach to be breaking laws in the middle of the ocean combating whaling ships e.g. jumping on board anothers vessel, spray painting, tear gas, water guns etc. but a lot of people prefer this hardline approach so thus, donate to Sea Shepherd. Watson obviously feels hard done by Greenpeace taking all the credit when it is him and his ships out there taking all the physical and legal risks. Another interesting point Watson brings up is the whaling of other nations such as Norway and Iceland. To give an estimate, Norway hunt over 500 Minke whales a year, maybe one of these groups could do something about that too.