Waterproofing Joins In Trailer Wiring

Nolongeramember

I've decided to upgrade the rear lights on my trailer to LED. I will be keeping the existing wiring which is fairly new and fully sealed and unbroken its entire length. What is the best way to seal the join I make to fit the new LED's at the rear?

Is there any special waterproof joiners I can use or something? I want it fully waterproof and to be fuss free and last for years.

Thanks for any ideas....

Get yourself some shrink tubing, a old plastic film canister (photo shops normally will give them to you).

Drill a hole lengthways the same diameter as cable right through canister and lid.

Feed wire through canister and shrink tube.

Solder wires, cover with shrink tubing.

Slide canister over join and fill with sikaflex and put lid on.

Let it cure and you wont have any probs.

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

I like the idea of the canister & sikaflex Fab!

I solder wires, coat them well with liquid electrical tape, slide heat shrink & shrink it over that (shrink into place) then wrap amalgamating tape over that. works well!

My system can be fiddly doing 1 wire at a time unlike FAB1's.

Brett

Guest Aussie007

I've decided to upgrade the rear lights on my trailer to LED. I will be keeping the existing wiring which is fairly new and fully sealed and unbroken its entire length. What is the best way to seal the join I make to fit the new LED's at the rear?

Is there any special waterproof joiners I can use or something? I want it fully waterproof and to be fuss free and last for years.

Thanks for any ideas....

u can get waterproof connectors they come in different sizes think its about $10 for a pack of 5, u slide the wire in crimp it down do the other side than heat shrink the plastic it melts into a resin and seals the connection, u can get them from boating accessory shops

We use the glued heat shrink and crimps for under ground cable joints at work. I have had the same on my led trailer lights for the last couple of years without any problem. Shrink from the middle to the ends to push the glue out and leave no bubbles.

Available from electrical wholesalers.

The heat shrink joiners are by far your best joining for the trailer wiring.

We stock them as well as the LED lights. We have a variety of LED Lights designed for boat trailers, including units with 6M of tinned cable, which places the joins out of the water, we also have a complete pluggable sealed unit right up to the plug. Send us an email or give us a call if you would like more info.