Advice on towing capacity

JSM81

Hi all,

I've got a 2004 v6 Camry that has a towing capacity of 1600kgs (with brakes). I was looking to get a boat and wandering whether I would be able to tow a 15ft fibreglass boat or am I limited to tinnys? Even if the boat with all addons was under the max rating, if still b concerned with the lack of grip on the boat ramp.

I know it's quite a generalised question but any advice would be appreciated thanks

In short you'll be able to tow any braked boat under 1600kg legally.

In regards to slippery ramps theres too many variables that it, s hard to say whether you'll get stuck or worse.

On most ramps in good condition and dry you should be fine, but try to pull out on a steep, wet,sandy or slimey ramp, that's when things can go south.

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

A problem that may come up is if there's to much weight on the towball and you're on a steep ramp it'll make your drive wheels up front lose traction. Though I did tow similar weight boat with a camry years ago and it was ok, at least the drive wheels were on dry parts of ramp usually allowing for traction, beat rear wheel drive cars. If there's to much weight on towball and back of car bags down you could look at adjusting weight balance on trailer to help.

wow thanks guys,

your responses are giving me an optimistic outlook. The main ramps I use are Oatley bay, Tunks Park, Brooklyn and apple tree bay. They all seem like decent ramps that aren't too steep?

thanks again

thanks oz_brett,

yeap i'll take the weight of my tackle + esky etc into account. I really don't want to go anywhere near the max rating. I'm hoping that sellers will have their weight ratings. I've seen this on trailers, do boats have these details printed somewhere or only on the paperwork?

I could exactly take it to a weight station before buying it and I think it would be too much to ask the seller to do that.

The weight of the boat (unladen) should be easily obtainable from their website. However to be sure, I would put it on a weigh bridge to be sure. The seller should be ok to go along with this. With a 15ft glass you should be just ok but the extras that have been fitted or are carried make the difference. It is not worth the risk of voiding your insurance if not sure. But I think the most important factor, ahead of towing weight, is the tow-ball weight - this will potentially affect you more, especially going downhill - this is where you can seriously run into trouble. I think the tow ball weight should be mandatory measured in the annual boat / trailer rego inspection (and that applies even more to caravans).

Edited by Twinfisher 4.9

YOu should be fine. I had a Honda 1200kgs and towed my glass boat in most of those ramps. Never got into any trouble. Although once i realised my boat weighed more than the tow rating, I upgraded my car. But yours being 1600, should be good!

Guest Aussie007

i think towing weights are rated on the towing cars % weight not from actual testing however i have seen people towing caravans with camrys

15 foot isnt all that big of a deal the V6 will handle it

Guest stephanb79

well i just got a 489 baymaster which weighs 1180kg do you guy think a holden captiva 2.4 petrol will do the job ???? im using the company Ute atm which is a ford ranger space cab but cant take the wife and kids with me it only a four seater

thanks