Catching Jew In Shallow Water

Lawrie

Hi to all members,

This may not be to everyones liking ,but sure is fun for me, pick your self out a spot on the beach during daylight hours at low tide is best you need a sand bar within casting distance and a nice gutter between you and the bar , I dont like long gutters look for short gutters and sand spits , up here on the mid north coast the beach has all little holes and spits and lots of small gutters its only a choice but you will get the hang of it. what i do to mark the beach so i see it at night is put some reflecting tape on a stump higher on the beach , this way you can use diferent colours for diferent holes. I,ll send you a couple of sattelite shots of what i mean. The only time to fish for jew on sand bars, is couple of hours either side of high water. and the only bait to use is beach worms.I use a patanosta rig , the drop about 300mm ,and drop to sinker one meter ,and drop up to swivel 450mm. You can use long shank hook about 6/0 to 8/0 thread the worm on the hook and up the line at least six inches. The moon phase you have to fish will start one week after full moon and you can fish up to one week after the new moon , darker the better.When the jew are on the bight you can rack up your bag limit very quickly.Sometimes when you throw out they grab the bait before you get a chance to flick back the bailarm ,most of these fish are between 3kg and 10 kg .fish with your drag firm as in shallow water they jump and can throw the hook.

Catch you later Lawrie.

Guest Jocool
Hi ken.A

Maybe one day you,ll get up this way.

64428[/snapback]

He will do more than that Laurie. He is going to be your neighbour shortly...so play nice! :074::074:

G`day Fellas ,

And I`m gunna run up the beach , moving all that reflecting tape about 200 yards further up , that`l fool em.

Although that Bugger can read a beach , in the dead of night , when its as black as pitch , wearing sun glasses , in a dust storm .

Might just change the colors of the markers , that`l do the trick......

Mick

Hey Mick,

Can you give me a hand movin the Capt'n Cook Bridge please mate .... seems someone has told everyone on the planet how to fish it :1prop:

Cummon down and grab an end and we'll move it a fair bit West ... somewhere near Como :tease:

Gday Lawrie, nice write ups you've been doing, thanks.

About this one, are you actually fishing right on top of the sandbar (so real shallow water) or are you doing the usual beach thing and fishing the edge of the gutter up against the sandbar?

Those sandbars are chockas with worms I reckon.

would like to give that method a go but unfortunately we can't get those thumper king worms down here in syd.

would you reserve fishing the sandbars for small sea conditions or you reckon jew would still move into 4ft of water in washing machine conditions with 3ft of whitewash over the top...

Gday Lawrie, nice write ups you've been doing, thanks.

About this one, are you actually fishing right on top of the sandbar (so real shallow water) or are you doing the usual beach thing and fishing the edge of the gutter up against the sandbar?

Those sandbars are chockas with worms I reckon.

64522[/snapback]

Hi Hooch ,

Yeah mate right on top of the bar.and yes your right ,worms are what there chaseing , worms are like jelly beans to these guys. You don,t want the water to rough one and a half meters is great. one thing they dont do is play with the bait they jest smash it , I suppose we are lucky here we catch our worms as we need them. and they are monsters. we have some great worming beaches.

Catch you later hooch.....Lawrie.

would like to give that method a go but unfortunately we can't get those thumper king worms down here in syd.

would you reserve fishing the sandbars for small sea conditions or you reckon jew would still move into 4ft of water in washing machine conditions with 3ft of whitewash over the top...

64541[/snapback]

Hi Bung.

A nice rolling sea of one and a half meters is great, and it usually breaks at the back of the bank and then you have the white water covering the bar. thats where you get them. I am of the opinion that they are in groups because of the way they grab that worm , They certainly don,t muck about.

Nice talking to you bung. Lawrie.

Cheers lawrie. I reckon they're in such a hurry to scoff it not only due to competition between others in the school (although i'm convinced they don't school that hard in sydney! too bloody few fish) but because the food could quickly get away in the washing machine.

i'm a fan of fishing the bars when seas are small and there's little movement in the gutters...usually using squid but worms would go great guns. hmmm, does an occy leg look like a worm? :1fishing1:

Cheers lawrie. I reckon they're in such a hurry to scoff it not only due to competition between others in the school (although i'm convinced they don't school that hard in sydney! too bloody few fish) but because the food could quickly get away in the washing machine.

i'm a fan of fishing the bars when seas are small and there's little movement in the gutters...usually using squid but worms would go great guns. hmmm, does an occy leg look like a worm? :1fishing1:

64641[/snapback]

Hi Bung. back again,

In the deeper water i've used squid and pillys but never ocky so i don't know,but you could try it. my mate is mad on lures and has ok results . he uses storm plastics and squiges , Mostly fish up to 8kg but haven't seen him catch any bigger.

Only problem up here is the rotten wind . even to-night it would blow a dog off a chain here, other wise i would be down there.

Catch you later bung ....Lawrie.

G'day Lawrie, great advice. Guys around my area have been onto this for a while now with any bait favourable, not just grubs, and it doesnt matter if the sandbar runs right to your fet as long as wash is present and there is a bit of water for jew to swim in no deper gutter required. Grubs certainly seem to bring in a smaller classs fish in general but jew dont mind them, and grubs produce far less numbers than other "can't resist "baits- this may be why you only talk of sub 10kg fish ?? (thats only form my deductions) try a full 3kg tailor head with shoulders lip hooked on a 12/0 if you can cast it, or a huge fillet then the pickers may leave it alone. Just a thought. Friends and myself have pulled jew from full working snadbars on rubber and plastic etc. We always used to head straight for the busiest sandbar during low swell periods (> 1.5m)and without doubt these always produced way better than distinctive gutter formations as the crowds en masse targeted.

Sandbars produce cover and ambush stations for predators with which to launch an attack and allso stir up food for baitfish.New moon and full moon periods doesnt make an ounce of difference if you fish both peak periods equally in typicall conditions.Without doubt my favourite night for beach jewin is 4 nights before and 4 nights after the full. Hope this helps.

Edited by stix

if you have a dirty great big hole right in close but there is a bar at the entrance to it that is closing out with 4ft barrels, would you bother fishing it? my theory (and experience) is that fish esp jew can't access the hole because it is pounding on the bar. you might get a chopper or a sambo near the high tide, but we've never hooked a jew in such conditions.

interesting to hear your thoughts.

been getting any, stix?

G,day Bung, i reckon i would give that scenario you described ago for sure. I have been skunked before by another fisho with inferior rigs/bait etc one night in exactly the same circumstances you just described.He was in the spot when the jew swam past so his bait was taken first and deservedly so , not mine in the textbook honey hole just up from him.Unless it was dead low with filthy closeouts dredging in shallow water i would fish such formations but around high.The sandbars im referring about are the full working bars that you can walk out to or onto at low and pull grubs from in a low or moderate swell. When the tide is up and there is sufficient water over them then the jew are up on the flats hunting bait.I' have tried it plenty of times, even with the textbook jew gutter not far away producing zilch and the consistently churning foamy flats coming up with the goods.Smack bang right in the middle- say50 metres to the nearest deepwater.Jew will chase/hunt bait in water barely enough to cover their backs .

I know it sounds stupid but in moderate to low swell jew absolutely adore foam and wash. Luring them also produces in these shallow sudsy flats spots- ive donged a couple on killalure jewies and laser pro's in very shallow washy water.

Havent fished beach jew for a while due to working in the bush flat stick. How about yourself?? Cheers

too bloody cold for me plus no ceph in the freezer. might be time to stock up. early spring has never been too productive for me but if the inshore water warms up i'll fire up.

got some reds 4 weeks ago, freakish accident involving a dorsal spine getting stuck and breaking off in my finger had to get it surgically removed an a week off work...LOL. oh, the fish were up to 5kegs.

heard wayno's gonna head up your way for a night fish this weekend.