Sadly, another two deaths from the rocks

Twinfisher 4.9

This is tragic and simply awful news for the family and friends that occurred at Wybung last night, a place I know well and have fished often. Watching the news reports they stress "how dangerous" this place and nearby spots are - presumably including Moonie and Bardie at Catherine Hill Bay. It is the conditions and the experience of the people that make it dangerous. I sincerely hope there are not more imposts on the rockhopper because of this tragedy. It is unfortunate that recent arrivals in our country make up the majority of fatalities on our seashores. Education is the only answer, at the end of the day, you have to be responsible for your own acts but you can only do that if you are aware of the potential dangers. We already pay a fishing licence fee in NSW, I would not object to an increase in this fee if it were to be used in a targeted, well presented project to inform and instruct people (again particularly new comers to the country) of the dangers and how to manage that risk. Let us not allow this continue to happen.

Unfortunately fishingphase, that is what I fear.......more legislation and rules and regulation. That is simply not the answer plus the cost of enforcement. We need to educate people about the potential dangers, but knowing our Government and the NSW Minister responsible for this, I don't hold out much hope.

It's a heap of crap... Iv been fishing the stones since I was 13, maybe not full dodging waves at 13, but over time you get to know and read what the waters doing... Why should I be forced to sit a competency test due to some one else's incompetence?

But I do 100% agree with making cleats and pfd's compulsory because it dosnt matter how good a swimmer you are, there always a good chance of getting sucked underneath the rock ledge you're fishing or being knocked unconscious and drowning because of that reason.

Again it was some one of Asian origin, and IM NOT GENERALISING, but it seems to be a bit of history repeated. A start would be erecting adequate signage in ALL languages stating:

- It is very dangerous to fish this location at all times

- do not fish this location unless you have a life jacket and cleats

- if waves are crashing over the rock ledge DO NOT go fishing

And that's what it comes down to, you have to spell it out for people to stop and think.

Harry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Education is the answer! I have fished from stones many times and take my kids often. We always sit, watch and have an exit strategy. We also were jackets. If it's too big or dangerous we don't fish simple!

I feel sorry for these people and their families loss!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Sorry Harry, but people do not read signs (or at least take on board the message), it has been well studied and proven. It needs to be presented in a much better way other than when they suddenly turn up on the rocks to go fishing......because fishing they will go, regardless of any signs. It needs a longer, thought out process to get the message through.

Steve

Sorry Harry, but people do not read signs (or at least take on board the message), it has been well studied and proven. It needs to be presented in a much better way other than when they suddenly turn up on the rocks to go fishing......because fishing they will go, regardless of any signs. It needs a longer, thought out process to get the message through.

Steve

I hear ya mate, but it's a start and it's simple and if it saves just one life it's worth it....

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...