Squidding on Bare Island

toboggi

Hi all

Headed out to bare island with a mate to try out a bit of squidding at night. Both of us are pretty much beginners.

Conditions pretty calm with little wind which was a good sign.

There was a few others having a go at squid but no one managed a single hit.

I tried another rig my bro taught me - stick a glow in the dark squid jig under a small float and let it drift.

After about 2 hours i got a hit and managed to hook up. Got a few more hits with this rig but didn't hook up.

This is the second calamari i have caught using this floating rig - relaxing way to squid without having to cast all night.

No one else off the bridge managed to get a squid (including myself) using the normal eging method.

Cheers,

Toboggi

post-30893-0-14566000-1398519808_thumb.jpeg

hey mate,

what jig you were using?

Hi spykey

I was using both daiwa emeraldas and yamashita jigs. The calamari was caught using a glow in the dark yamashita jig 3.5 size. I also gave it a quick spray of scent. Sitting about 1.5mm under a float because the water under the bridge at bare island is quite shallow.

Hi spykey

I was using both daiwa emeraldas and yamashita jigs. The calamari was caught using a glow in the dark yamashita jig 3.5 size. I also gave it a quick spray of scent. Sitting about 1.5mm under a float because the water under the bridge at bare island is quite shallow.

Used to fish off that bridge but never got anything :P

Never fished for squids, so just sussing what jig to get to start with.

Used to fish off that bridge but never got anything :P

Never fished for squids, so just sussing what jig to get to start with.

I see heaps of people fish off bridge but never seen anything caught. Squid seem to be there regardless of tide. Only problem is when you get one you risk losing it when lifting it up onto the bridge. I have a 5m plus telescopic net so it was ok for me...another bloke I spoke to there said he got two 30cm plus ones at dawn.

Hi all

Headed out to bare island with a mate to try out a bit of squidding at night. Both of us are pretty much beginners.

I tried another rig my bro taught me - stick a glow in the dark squid jig under a small float and let it drift.

After about 2 hours i got a hit and managed to hook up. Got a few more hits with this rig but didn't hook up.

This is the second calamari i have caught using this floating rig - relaxing way to squid without having to cast all night.

No one else off the bridge managed to get a squid (including myself) using the normal eging method.

Cheers,

Toboggi

Hey Toboggi,

I tried there on Saturday night with a friend of mine, we used the egiing method and we didn't manage anything either. I think using spike and pilchards on a float would be a good there there as you need to wait patiently. I will try again and keep you updated, also like my facebook fishing page to follow my reports if you like: https://m.facebook.com/sydneysfishingforum.

Thanks Mate

Hi all

Cheers,

Toboggi

Hey Toboggi,

I tried there on Saturday night with a friend of mine, we used the egiing method and we didn't manage anything either. I think using spike and pilchards on a float would be a good there there as you need to wait patiently. I will try again and keep you updated, also like my facebook fishing page to follow my reports if you like: https://m.facebook.com/sydneysfishingforum.

Thanks Mate

Using a suspended jig is the same concept as using pilchards/yakkas on a spike

i like using a jig at night because it doesnt stink (a spray my jig with a scent) and it glows in the dark.

Alternatively i have seen people put a little glow stick at the end of the spike to attract the squid.

Twice at bare island i have only caught suspending my jig but nothing from eging. Bring some camping chairs and an esky of food and drinks and relax while you keep an eye on your float - im no expert but what i find is the squid will continue to attack the jig so u dont need to be staring at your float the whole time.

Using a suspended jig is the same concept as using pilchards/yakkas on a spike

i like using a jig at night because it doesnt stink (a spray my jig with a scent) and it glows in the dark.

Alternatively i have seen people put a little glow stick at the end of the spike to attract the squid.

Twice at bare island i have only caught suspending my jig but nothing from eging. Bring some camping chairs and an esky of food and drinks and relax while you keep an eye on your float - im no expert but what i find is the squid will continue to attack the jig so u dont need to be staring at your float the whole time.

Yea same concept but each to their own, I find using the spikes attracts bigger squid as they love to each the real stuff whereas the jigs work to catch big and small but I find they get more small to average size ones. I will be sure to go there again and give it a try once the waters calm a bit.

All the best, thanks.