Jewfish night.BB

Botany Bay Fishing

Well they say big fish only come around once in a while and boy did i stuff this one up :ranting2: .

Hit BB with my dad took out my younger brother also which is one of his first time fishing and was great fun teaching him.

2:30pm went after yakkas at the tugs not one in sight at all which was interesting, moved over to kurnell to gather some squid managed two and a good bait sized cuttlefish. Anchored up at our jewie spot at about 4:30 and stuffed around with the smaller fish, catching plenty of small trevs,bream,snapper,sweep and pike. Night time started to creep up so threw out one live squid and a butterflied sweep.Nothing bar catching the odd pike. 45 minutes pass, Dads(crazycol) butterflied rod has some weight and a little big of a fight then wrapped itself around the reef and thats the end of that story.

Look over towards my live squid to just see the rod tip bent over and pulsing (i had light drag on at the time) fish taking no line, Pick up the rod tighten drag set the hooks and were onto a jewie (nice weight) staying deep head shakes one small run, "tighten drag a little bit dont want to get reefed) start to lift the fish from the bottom making good progress(nice strong headshakes, excitement builds) just before we could see the fish it turns around and takes off like a steam train. Aaaaaaand bang, There it goes. Stayed out for another hour with no luck.

Tough luck mate but that's big Jew for ya. The same thing happened to me last week off the rocks, I knew it was a good fish and thought I had it covered but then it seen the rocks and yeah........I think it's still going.

At least your doing the right things to hook up on decent Jew. Better luck next time.

Edited by Dave_

Don't know what gear and line strength you were using, but one trap is to have too much drag set for the fish.

Realise that you were fishing near a reef area and you want to avoid being reefed, but in my time, not many jews have taken me into the reef, more likely to be large bream, drummer, kingies and rock cod that will do that. You can always add a bit of pressure to the spool with your fingers if the fish takes off.

Also bear in mind that fishing reef areas may result in scuff marks on the line which will reduce your breaking strain, and if you apply too much drag, you may be at the upper limit of the breaking strain of the damaged line.

Better luck next time.

Don't know what gear and line strength you were using, but one trap is to have too much drag set for the fish.

Realise that you were fishing near a reef area and you want to avoid being reefed, but in my time, not many jews have taken me into the reef, more likely to be large bream, drummer, kingies and rock cod that will do that. You can always add a bit of pressure to the spool with your fingers if the fish takes off.

Also bear in mind that fishing reef areas may result in scuff marks on the line which will reduce your breaking strain, and if you apply too much drag, you may be at the upper limit of the breaking strain of the damaged line.

Better luck next time.

Great advise yowie!

Better luck next time.

Yowie it appears you are right there was no damage to my leader, to my shame i admit it appears to be that my knots weren't the best. It was definitely a jewfish though