Commerical Fishing - Undersized fish

fragmeister

Hi Fishraiders,

I often walk by the fish shop on the way to my office...( I figure if I can't go fishing at least I can look at some fish!)

and for as long as I can remember I have noticed many fish for sale that are clearly undersized.

I assume that commercial fisherman are permitted to keep undersized fish and this is possibly because the capture methods

kill the fish anyway but I am not sure.

Anybody out there know what rules apply to commercial fisherman in regards to undersized fish?

Cheers

Jim

They do have different size limits and as you said, they kill pretty much whatever they catch so to throw them back would be a waste... If I had anything to do with it there'd be no pros within 200 kms of our coast, i never buy fish anyway so all they do is deplete our resources

They do have different size limits and as you said, they kill pretty much whatever they catch so to throw them back would be a waste... If I had anything to do with it there'd be no pros within 200 kms of our coast, i never buy fish anyway so all they do is deplete our resources

Thanks Buddy,

Much as I expected.

I have to say every time I duck in and take a look at the "fresh fish" on display I note the poor condition compared to what I am accustomed to by catching my own.

Cloudy eyes, bruised flesh most un-gutted and un-bled... not the best recipe for a good feed of fish and goodness knows how old they are.

I remember reading once that with the bycatch, loss and wastage of unsold fish only 20 percent of what is caught actual gets sold and eaten. This is a pretty pathetic use of a resource.

Cheers

Jim

A family friend used to be a commercial fisho down in Vic and they would go out for 2 weeks at a time, so fish 'fresh off the boat' could have been dead for 2 weeks already if caught on day 1, then add the time it takes to get to the fish monger and how long they hold it before it sells... yuck!

There's no comparing fish sold in shops to what we consume... There's days iv eaten fish which was swimming 15 minutes earlier, but generally fish caught will be cooked and eaten that night

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

Can't agree more Harry,

Many years ago I fished the tubes in Jervis Bay I remember dispatching some of the live bait (yakkas mainly) when the fishing was slow and immediately cooking them up in foil on the fire ...

The taste and texture would put the best fish shop fare to shame.

Cheers

Jim

Agree Jim, many years ago I went to a Japanese restaurant and had sashimi which I love. One of the fish served raw was yellowtail, along with the usual kingfish and Tuna but have to say the yellowtail were delicious. All these years I have been releasing my live bait back at the ramp when I should have kept them and probably not brought back my other fish.

Agree Jim, many years ago I went to a Japanese restaurant and had sashimi which I love. One of the fish served raw was yellowtail, along with the usual kingfish and Tuna but have to say the yellowtail were delicious. All these years I have been releasing my live bait back at the ramp when I should have kept them and probably not brought back my other fish.

The yellowtail served in sashimi restaurants is yellowtail scad? I never even thought about that! Those over sized yakkas better think twice before they go near my hook again! haha, definitely gonna try one out.

Guest Aussie007

thanks for bringing this up guys i always thought there were one legal limit for commercial or your average joe, i would always walk into a south western sydney fish shop in the burbs and think wow are they really selling fish of that size! but you've made it clear commercial fisherman can take smaller size fish or farmed fish can also be smaller i didnt take this into consideration, i wont judge any further