Sydney Offshore – YFT, Striped Tuna and Dolphin Fish

Headed offshore yesterday, didn’t get out there early, but we rarely do. Wind was not too bad, it was NW and then turned NE 15-20 knots in about 2.30pm. We didn’t see any another boats out there, which was a first in quite a while.

Out of the Sydney Heads we travelled NE, about 1 NM past the Whale Fad the water rose from 22.9 to 24.8 and there was massive visible current line running about 5 knots north to south, honestly it was like rapids on the edge. Headed north along the outside of the current line, we got a Striped Tuna and a couple Dolphin Fish along it. The water was electric blue. Autopsied the fish, they were full of small purple Puffer Fish, so we put them in some of our lures and ran a few purple lures to match the hatch. Our lures represented giant Puffer Fish, the ultimate bait huh J. We had fresh Stripped Tuna, Pilchards and Squid in some of the other lures.

At around 2.30pm when the north easterly kicked in we decided to head SE towards The 12 Mile for a slightly softer ride. The sun had peeked out from the clouds we had no hook ups for about an hour and half so we decided to add a shotgun lure to our spread to increase our chances. About 3NM from The 12 Mile the shotgun and the long rigger got hit simultaneously. The shotgun line sprung back for a second and unfortunately the line wrapped around the tip of the rod and we got busted off. The rigger rod was bent over hard and the fish peeled off about 100 metres of line before dropping the lure. We trolled around the area for a while and didn’t hook anything else. We continued to The 12 Mile. We did a few laps of The 12 Mile but we got nothing, the water was 25 and electric blue out there.

At 4pm we decided to the try The Peak, so we put out 2 high speed lures and trolled there at around 13-15 knots. About 1 NM before The Peak we spotted about 50 Tuna Birds circling, we slowed down to 8 knots and put the rest of our spread out, the lures got smashed straight away. At one stage we had 3 rods bent over and couple of double hook-ups afterwards. We landed 2 Striped Tuna, 1 Yellowfin Tuna and we dropped quite a few fish in all the chaos.

It was almost dark after the last hook up so we started punching the boat back into the north easterly towards Sydney Heads. We couldn’t go that fast on the way back anyway so we kept the lures out to the death and we hooked and landed a small Dolphin almost in the dark before bringing all the gear in. It took us a bit over an hour to get back into the heads.

Is there still a FAD at The Peak, we couldn’t see one on the mark we had for it?

Anyway, get out there if you can, the water is insane, there are distinct current lines and temp breaks everywhere. I am sure there will be a few marlins in that water somewhere and even if you don’t come across any, the Tuna and Dolphin Fish will keep you entertained. Unfortunately I can’t fish for about a week now but I would be out there every day if I could.

Good luck to anyone heading out.

Peter

SB Lures
www.scentblazer.com

post-22587-0-89470700-1398827136_thumb.jpg

post-22587-0-70807600-1398827143_thumb.jpg

post-22587-0-75678100-1398827151_thumb.jpg

post-22587-0-15065800-1398827162_thumb.jpg

post-22587-0-10031200-1398827170_thumb.jpg

post-22587-0-00335600-1398827177_thumb.jpg

post-22587-0-27748800-1398827187_thumb.jpg

post-22587-0-22817200-1398827196_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

nice fish mate and i really want to get out there but the weather is holding me back in my small boat

cheers sydneyfisher12

right now the warm water is in really close so you wouldn't have to go far out maybe about 5NM, hopefully the weather behaves so you can get out there

Great reports but hard reading them when the forecast is bad weather for the only days I could get out hope it changes sweating to catch a YFT

Congratulations on a fun day

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Edited by Simda

Great reports but hard reading them when the forecast is bad weather for the only days I could get out hope it changes sweating to catch a YFT Congratulations on a fun day Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

yeah its bummer, the weekend is not looking good. Friday, Monday and Tuesday look fishable. Hope it calms down and you get out there.