dropping flathead

fat_souvlaki

Gday Raiders

Of late I've been dropping way too many flathead for my liking on plastics. I have tried backing off the drag, keeping constant tension, allowing the fish several seconds to take the plastic and babying the fish to the boat but the buggers still manage to shake the hook. I'm having serious thoughts about a tracer hook; have many people had better luck with this?
Any suggestions?

Regards,
John,

strike hard when you initially get the hit, get them in as quick as possible, solid constant tension, dont lift their head over the water to avoid headshakes. swim them into the net.

go hard with the drag, they wont slice you off.

I've had this problem in the past too and have tried all the things suggested above without success. Try using smaller plastics or even blades so that they take the whole lot into that cavernous mouth rather than just grabbing the tail behind the hook. Then be careful not to let them thrash around with their head up when landing them. I have had fish take a plastic three times on the one retrieve and get them right up near the boat only for them to open their mouth and let the plastic go. Very frustrating!

With flatties +1 on striking hard, pin that hook well! Have found I lost most fish when my strike wasn't good enough, have also lost fish this way, as maybe they just mouthed the plastic and striking pulled it out, but I'd rather know I have a good hook set than get halfway through the fight and have them drop it :) also letting them take it down not the best idea as then the leader is perfectly positioned to scrape on that front rough mouth plate and wear through quickly. Hate having a fish come up only to thrash a leader to bits :(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

It just happens like that sometimes.

Fishing in the Hacking yesterday, pulled out 6 undersized flatties (on nippers) but the larger ones did not hook up. Dropped a couple, up to about 55-60cm at a guess, a couple of head shakes by each fish and the hook did not connect.

hi all, I know it sounds counter productive but try crimping the barbs as a barbless hook will penetrate a hard bony mouth easier providing a more solid hookup, just remember to maintain line tension at all times and keep their head underwater. cheers troutboy

hi all, I know it sounds counter productive but try crimping the barbs as a barbless hook will penetrate a hard bony mouth easier providing a more solid hookup, just remember to maintain line tension at all times and keep their head underwater.  cheers troutboy

Fair call

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where are you losing them exactly, in the first second or 2 or at the boat/net.

What line class?

The two points I would suggest are getting your hook in and watch the last minute change of direction, both of these get harder the lighter your line.

With an electric motor you can even shift the boat to control their behaviour boat side.

Thanks for everyone's input!! I appreciate everything said.

Chewie and witha.. I always make an effort to plant the hook hard but will focus on it more!

Jameshanna.. lately ive been changing jigs every so often and it definitely helps having a sharp hook!

Like others have mentioned, it can be very frustrating when you've dropped a dozen fish on a trip and only come home with a few .

Troutboy I will be trying this next trip!