Shellharbour Southern Calamari

aeb870

Once again visiting the parents and the in laws down at Shellharbour and as usual packed any rod I can get a hold off - this time it was my 6.8ft, 2-5kg outfit.

Got here and with barely any time to spare, I ducked out to the harbour at about 4pm to continue practising squid fishing. Starting with 2.5 Rainbow coloured jig, but soon after changed to a 3.0 orange jig.

No action till after sunset, however a kid and his dad turn up at about 4.30pm with what looked from the distance to be a 4.0 jig in blue. They quickly bagged two decent Calamari before sunset and packed up and left.

Ocean side and after Sunset I ended up missing my first Calamari due to its weight, my drag was set too tight. Kept casting in the same spot and after another 10 casts or so, brought this guy in measuring 22cm (hood).

Posted Image

Kept going, and in another 10mins, harbour side this time I brought in another measuring at 20cm. Packed up at 6.30 and called it quits happy to take home a quick feed.

Being my 3rd squid session ever, seems like I am getting the hang of it however still much more to learn.

Posted Image

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Squid fishing is so much fun. I do it on a regular basis. The trick I think is to get it close to the bottom if in Snaggy areas and on the bottom in sandy/short weedy areas. Give it some big sharp jerks and let it sink again. Keep the tension on the line though as they hit it on the drop and are very subtle in their takes. Just remember to think prawn as that is what the jigs immitate. They take off in quick sharp bursts so try your best to emulate them.

Luc.

Thanks guys and can't wait to eat them.

Squid fishing is so much fun. I do it on a regular basis. The trick I think is to get it close to the bottom if in Snaggy areas and on the bottom in sandy/short weedy areas. Give it some big sharp jerks and let it sink again. Keep the tension on the line though as they hit it on the drop and are very subtle in their takes. Just remember to think prawn as that is what the jigs immitate. They take off in quick sharp bursts so try your best to emulate them.

Luc.

To be honest, that's sort of what I was trying to do however what left me puzzled was what the kid was doing. He would cast his heavy jig in and then a slow and steady retrieve. It's almost like spinning a Tassie devil in freshwater, and the squid would actually attack his jig.

How very interesting, I have never tried that... I may have to give it a try sometime and see what happens as I have a few good squid spots.

Cheers.

Definitely worth a try, I might grab some heavier squid jigs myself and try it.

Good work.

Were yiu at the little break wall across from the pub by any chance?

Thanks and it wasn't the one directly across from the pub, it's the across from that one. The one that runs along the boat ramp.

Prawn also just scuttle along the bottom along the sand hence the slow retrieve.

Tip for squidin, if you don't get snagged often you are not allowing the jig to sink enough.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Edited by LungFai

Interesting, I will definitely be looking forward to trying again and maybe grab a green and blue.

I only have the orange colour at the moment.

To be honest, I still rather fishing over squidding. Like this is my 3rd real time to squid and I am still not that phased. Although I must admit, the quality of the catch to take home is always enjoyable to eat.

Great catch. Are you fishing inside the harbour or on the ocean side.

I caught one of these, the bigger one, on the ocean side. And the other harbour side. The kid next to me caught two even larger ones harbour side.