Fly /SP fishraider day

big Neil

Hello to those who attended the workshop at the weekend. Just an enquiry from the bush. I was unable to attend as it is a 4 day camel journey from my place to civilisation. Does anybody have any clues, tips, words of wisdom that they may want to pass on to an avid SP angler who rarely gets to use his skills? Big Neil

Sorry guys this is what I learned as a novice.

Gear up to your budget ,cheap rod cheaper reel will catch fish, upgrade when the time is right.

Don't buy cheap braid you haven't heard of off the Internet.

Match your backing (if using backing) to your braid. You don't want a big run to ping when your 6 lb braid meets 2lb backing.

Keep your spool filled, whether that means a join or a topshot, it's better for casting.

6lb leader 2 rod lengths long, plus 2 wind ons.

Set your drag. Tighten your drag. Load it up by pulling the leader towards the reel and loosen it so your rod doesn't look it will break.

Use the minimum weight jighead to match the conditions ie water depth and current .

Match your plastic to what the fish are feeding on, prawn, poddy etc.

Alter your retrieve according to the depth. In the shallow short twitches, deeper water hop, deep water rip or double hop.

Keep a bit of resistance on the line on retrieve, it wil stop birds nests.

If you line gets twisty, when you are on the water, under way,let it all out with only a swivel attached, wind in under tension, twist gone.

Change it up, move, try new things, alter damaged plastics, cut them, melt them and join together.

You're not doing anything wrong if you are catching fish.

It's all about confidence

Ryder

Edited by Ryder

+1 to ryders comment.

On top of that I'm learning from a bit of time put into breaming on SPs that you realllly want to maximise the time it takes your sp to get from top of the 'hop' or twitch back to the bottom. In other words slow down your sink rate to increase time on the drop as majority of hits will come after a twitch or hop when it's dropping, so giving yourself more time in that zone gives the fish even more time to look at it, then hopefully smash it :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Here's a few of the things that stuck with me

When trying leader to braid cut the mono tag as close to the knot as possible, this is what will catch when casting. If in doubt retie.

Baitfish generally swim with the current, not against it. So work the plastic along with the current, not against it. (Although in my experience either way will work, I will now be more aware of this)

What Ryder said about depth - shallow then small movements, deeper means bigger movements.

Different species different techniques. Flatties, normal retrives. Bream very very slow. Snapper, while anchored or drifting drop plastic to the bottom then raise about a metre and let the rise and fall of the boat work the plastic. Kingys and game fish hard and fast jigging.

I also learnt a lot about the art of fly fishing from Swordfisherman. I really appreciate that and am hoping to get the fly rod out next weekend and break it in with a trout.

I also learnt a lot about the art of fly fishing from Swordfisherman. I really appreciate that and am hoping to get the fly rod out next weekend and break it in with a trout.

Do that mate, you wont regret it. They are so much fun that I found the challenge of it just as addictive and probably more rewarding (even with smaller fish) than salt water fishing. Welcome to the dark side of fishing.

Luc.