Port Hacking - mainly jackets

Yowie

Anchored at first light in the deep near Deer Park this morning. Could not see any other boat lights, so I had the place to myself.

About half light, a boat heads towards me, thought it was someone coming over to say hello. No, the f***wit motors near me, within casting distance, and drops his anchor over. Not another boat to be seen anywhere with anyone fishing in it, but he wants to fish downstream of me!

So I started yelling and waving my arms about, and he ups anchor and moves about a hundred metres away. Nearly 2 kms of water from Lilli Pilli to Gymea Bay, but no, annoy me instead. :ranting2:

Anyway, pulled out the tailor on salted bonnie strips, and the pickers took the rest. Squid and pillies did no good. Tried for yellowtail, none about, instead plenty of very small reddies, sweep and several trevally just under size. Filleted one of the sweep, which picked up the reddie, happy with that.

The jackets took small pieces of squid on a small hook. They may have been chewing up the pillies and larger squid baits as well.

Headed back to mums place to clean the fish. Threw in the jackets heads, and figured a bream may be cruising about, so cut off a bit of tailor fillet and threw it in for the bream. The bream swam me around a mooring pole, but the line held. After the photo, it was released.

post-13153-0-84655400-1399357186_thumb.jpg

post-13153-0-04223100-1399357208_thumb.jpg

Nice catch there Yowie, nothing wrong with a good feed of jackets.

Is that in front of the Marine Rescue base your cleaning the fish?

If so, is the wharf on the side still there?

Last year i was down there & it looked like it was about to collapse.

A few years back used to get some great squid there a night, when the light hadn't been smashed.

Cheers.

Nice catch there Yowie, nothing wrong with a good feed of jackets.

Is that in front of the Marine Rescue base your cleaning the fish?

If so, is the wharf on the side still there?

Last year i was down there & it looked like it was about to collapse.

A few years back used to get some great squid there a night, when the light hadn't been smashed.

Cheers.

It's the ramp at my mothers house on Gunnamatta Bay.

The wharf next to Marine Rescue has nearly collapsed. It is still boarded up to keep people out, though I see the occasional person standing on it. Rather dangerous to be doing that as part of it slopes a lot to one side.

Good one Yowie, I think that you get more fishing time in than any other raider, how do you do it?

Re the guy fishing next to you, had a similar problem at the third runway some years ago. Simon and I were catching Trevally one after the other when this idiot moored less than 50 meters from us in our burley stream. Would not move so we just kept casting toward him at times bouncing our sinker off his ally boat. Funny thing, we kept pulling fish from next to and under his boat whilst he could not get a bite. Sweet!

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Paikea

PS; How will I recognise your boat to say hello if I ever get on the Port when you are there?

Good one Yowie, I think that you get more fishing time in than any other raider, how do you do it?

Re the guy fishing next to you, had a similar problem at the third runway some years ago. Simon and I were catching Trevally one after the other when this idiot moored less than 50 meters from us in our burley stream. Would not move so we just kept casting toward him at times bouncing our sinker off his ally boat. Funny thing, we kept pulling fish from next to and under his boat whilst he could not get a bite. Sweet!

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Paikea

PS; How will I recognise your boat to say hello if I ever get on the Port when you are there?

It is older white Quintrex 14 foot tinnie, with a red and blue marking along the side. Usually fish by myself, though sometimes a mate comes along.

I normally fish every week (unless on holidays somewhere) as I am now retired, although I fished every week while working as well. Prefer during the week, as too many boats (and more idiots about) on weekends.

cracker bream there mate and not a bad bag there

i hate when people come so close to you the its follow the leader 2,3,4,5,6 and so on

cheers sydneyfisher12

When I was a kid, I stayed at my grandparent's caravan a few times at Windang on Lake Illawarra. I used their rowboat, which was red and white and stood out because of the colour.

When I rowed out, other boats use to follow me at times, so I would anchor in a spot where there were very few fish, throw a line out and pretend I was getting bites. The other boats would anchor near me, and I would pack up and row somewhere else to pull out the fish. Most of them stayed in the first spot and caught bugger all. :074: