Bursting Bubbles

Ryder

A couple of years ago, maybe more I hooked up bigtime on the beach at Dee Why, near the mouth of the lagoon

This thing was giving the drag a real workout, and my heart started pounding. This is big. This is good

I'd get some line back and then off it would go again. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

After 20 minutes or so I had sight of something in the wave, and was convinced it was a shark.

A kindly local came along, attracted by the epic battle and said "You know there is an anchor rope out there? been there for years.'

Nooooooo!

He burst my bubble!!

I couldn't believe it, but he was right. My shark was a kelpy rope.

I'd be winning when the big sets came thru, and it was winning when the water was going back out.

I cut the line and moved down the beach.

A few weeks later I saw a guy having the fight of his life at the same spot, I thought should I, shouldn't I ?

My conscience got the better of me, I burst his bubble, cruel but kind.

(I fished the same spot a month ago, after avoiding it, and it appears to be clear.)

:mfr_lol: You sure are not the first or last to have an epic battle with something that is not alive, I have often been surprised at that first burst of speed and weight from a plastic bag or tree branch as they twist there way through the water :074:

Blood Knot.

Ive bursted my own bubble before

I was fishing for squid over a weed bed in Walsh bay and felt a huge amount of weight and thought it was a huge cuttlefish

I got all excited and then though what if it's weed because there a lot of it and bought it up to be a huge klump of weed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I swear there is a snag near the spit bridge that runs out, grabs my line, then runs back to where it lives. Always seems like a run to begin with and then its plain obvious its not moving.

Funny post Ryder. It is amazing what you can hook onto! I hate how my fish always shrinks as is comes up the water column. Especially when my 5kg Jew turns into a pinky!

Cheers scratchie!!!

P.s I would have stood there with him and encouraged the fight. Eventually it would have pulled and you could have said "bad luck mate, you'll get him next time"

:mfr_lol:  You sure are not the first or last to have an epic battle with something that is not alive, I have often been surprised at that first burst of speed and weight from a plastic bag or tree branch as they twist there way through the water :074:

Blood Knot. 

yep know that feeling well

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

I had a paternoster rig setup with 2 dropper hooks, line starts with a tap tap ... pick up the rod and strike, massive weight! Start cranking and winding .. my mate says "Its just a snag!" So i hold the rod dead still and feel tap tap tap, still on ... keep cranking.

Long story short, I have a pinkie on one hook and a 1m sunken tree LOG on the other. The log kept rolling back down a drop off taking line :D

Way to funny...

Never had one that intense lol but have expirienced the phsycological tug of war that goes on in your head where to halves if your brain are trying to convince each other that is/isn't a fish

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

Oh my, we can all identify with these posts.

Years ago were out in a 10 M game boat when one of our guys went to the head. We quickly put out another light rod with a small bucket attached to the end. taped a small sinker to the handle, just enough to make the bucket sink. When he came out we flicked the free spool bending the rod over. Told him that it was his turn and watched him go for it..

He fought that bucket all the way back to the boat.

Cheers

Paikea

Haha this is such a great thread. Yup plastic bags I called for rays, huge log that kept slipping making it "fight" think the suck and pull of the surf was my worst. 5min fight with a bloody great lump of kelp. Wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't been woopin and cheering at the girlfriend that "I told you I'd catch dinner" she made me eat a piece of it as punishment :P

Even yesterday the old problem of plastic fishing for flatties. Sometimes they wolf it down on the bottom so when you go to do your next rip it comes up tight, so strike hard and end up burying the hooks so hard into whatever its stuck on you've got no chance of flickin it free. Went through a couple of packs of jigheads...:P

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Haha I fan so relate I had 2 memotable encounyets with phantom fish

1. I pulled up a massive branch of aquatic life which I thought was a fat octopus. .along with 3 different rigs..awesome pump and wind fight.

2. A massive clump of seaweed like 2m by 3 meteres at the beach in heavy swells....never had such blistering runs before..then spent an hour untangling line and seaweed..:o

Tight lines!, Shakeel

Haha this is such a great thread. Yup plastic bags I called for rays, huge log that kept slipping making it "fight" think the suck and pull of the surf was my worst. 5min fight with a bloody great lump of kelp. Wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't been woopin and cheering at the girlfriend that "I told you I'd catch dinner" she made me eat a piece of it as punishment :PSent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

That made me laugh Witha

Paternoster with 4 hooks reeling in thinking I have something massive. Screaming at the girlfriend to bring the net, her telling me we left it in the car, me panicking telling her I might need to wade into the water to grab it by hand...

4 pinkies later I feel pretty embarrassed

Oh, I'm so pleased that it's not just me (or my mate). Years ago when we used to fish The Peak off Sydney, my mate hooked up big time and it was a long and protracted battle and after 15 minutes it was getting close to the boat - we could seen the outline in the water - this thing was yellowish green and about 2 meters long and for all the world looked like a huge kingy. He said ok gaff it, and I said no, I wont do that, I will lift it in by hand. After a few expletives, he said please just gaff it. Again i said no, it will rip it. WTF he said, its a fish, you won't rip it. I then did a great comfort lift on a 2m sea-anchor, (parachute anchor). He refused to pose for a photo for some reason and no it wasn't attached to a rope or boat at the time.

Also at The Peak, I endured a 10 minute battle with another boat's anchor rope that I hooked 30m down - my goodness those things put up a fight! All funny afterwards. Gotta love fishing!

In the cartoons it was always catching an old boot or rusty can. I thought it funny when what I thought was a good bream turned out to be such a classic fishing fail: rusty tin can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me and my brother took a friend bottom basing in 1 m swell. He is not a seasoned fisherman so he doesn't know any better. Anyways, his tackle is always heavy, there's no finesse, im talking 40 pound + gear at minimum.

So he drops it down and the setup snags in the rocks, meanwhile he thinks he is on and starts pumping like a mad man. Me and my brother are cracking up on the inside, all the time encouraging him to "get stuck into the fish or it will reef him".

The poor bloke is so intent on getting the fish up and is staring intently at the water. He thinks he is on to a fish because when the swell dropped, he would gain a meter and when it rose, the fish would go for a 1 meter run and he would get some line back.

So here is this guy, an old pen reel with the drag almost maxxed out, pumping the rod like his life depended on it for a good 10 minutes before we burst his bubble! Brings a tear to my eyes every time i remember the scenario!

In the cartoons it was always catching an old boot or rusty can. I thought it funny when what I thought was a good bream turned out to be such a classic fishing fail: rusty tin can.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Under the Harbour Bridge I caught kids' shoe with comics on it. Bizarre or ironic.

Good to know it happens to you raiders too.

Thanks Ryder

Ps SquidMarks don't get me started on the Me and my Brother stories.

Edited by Ryder