Sydney Offshore - Fri 9-5-2014 Busted Off Marlin

We got busted off by a Blue Marlin today about 5NM South West of Browns today at 3.30pm. Just guessing, but it looked well over 300lb, other than that all we got was fat Striped Tuna about 8lb and lost a small Dolphin Fish both of those in closer around 60 metres.

My co-pilot was sleeping and I was driving when it struck so by the time we cleared the gear the there was at least 400 metres of line missing on our 50W, there was a massive bow the in line it was leaping around all over the place in the distance. About 200 of line metres went missing, not sure if the line had a nick or it was pressure break due the big bow.

For anyone heading on this Saturday:
23 degrees about 2 miles from the heads
then gradually drops to around 22 at the 12 mile
just inside the shelf it goes back up to around 23.2 and then it gradually gets warmer heading towards Browns and beyond. The warmest water we found was 24.1 which was around 10NM SE of Browns. It was around 23.5 where hooked the blue. Also saw a large Mako cruising near Browns.

There is a lot more bird activity in close. On the radio, a couple boats getting dollies around the fads, so they are still around.

We might have the Marlin strike on our underwater camera, it hit the lure just left of the camera. Will post some photos in the next couple of days. Might even head out tomorrow, pumped now.

Good Luck to anyone heading out.

Peter
Scent Blazer Lures - www.scentblazer.com

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

The water looked great out there today, Bad luck on the Blue... But nice to find one..

yeah the water was excellent today, we only saw one other boat out there. Its a bummer, we thought we had it, it slowed down and we thought it settled down and we just cleared the gear ready to back down on it, then it took off again and the line popped!

oh well there is always next time :)

Hooked up a big blue (was well over 500lb) this morning in pretty much the same spot you did yesterday. Good pocket of warm water around browns at the moment.

Fish went absolutely berserk and managed to bust our leader after a few minutes. Somehow managed to also destroy our teaser in the process.

Devastating - hook was well and truly set and we had tested that rig twice last weekend as it was one of my new lure purchases. Hopefully managed to get some footage on the gopro.

Heading back in now - sounded like a quiet day on the radio for most.

bau

Hooked up a big blue (was well over 500lb) this morning in pretty much the same spot you did yesterday. Good pocket of warm water around browns at the moment.

Fish went absolutely berserk and managed to bust our leader after a few minutes. Somehow managed to also destroy our teaser in the process.

Devastating - hook was well and truly set and we had tested that rig twice last weekend as it was one of my new lure purchases. Hopefully managed to get some footage on the gopro.

Heading back in now - sounded like a quiet day on the radio for most.

bummer about your marlin, sounds like a biggy. We got out today late, we didn't get to Browns until about 1pm. We trolled around browns and got nothing, there were a few boats there, so we headed NE and a got double hook-up on blues around 2.30 and got busted off on both.

On the radio, all we heard was stories about everyone losing blues. I asked, but no one on the radio would say where. I broadcast my hook-up location and one boat turned up, but it was late by then and most boats seem to be heading back at that stage. There were heaps of flying fish where we hooked up.

All I actually landed was a stripped tuna about 5 miles before the 12 Mile, I was pretty impressed though, we hooked him going at 15knots.

oh well, next time, if we landed everything, every time, we'd get sick of it right!

We went out wide yesterday from broken bay. Terrigal fad and onto Norah canyon sea very lumpy so trolled Terrigal fad to the Norah canyon. Was 1.30 by the time we got there so only had an hour there before the run back. One other boat there amazing topography.. The bottom drops 200plus metres in about half a mile and then up again......hence canyon. Would have liked to spend a bit longer there.

Water 23 in close and then dropping to 22 then about 15 miles offshore. Back up to 24 out at the canyon. It is a 40 miles run back so probably won't make a habit of it. 110 miles for the day and 140 litres of fuel. ( 150 merc 4 stroke outboard) Tally for the day! 3 dollies ( 2 keepers), 2 very fat striped tuna, released and one free jumper.

We went out wide yesterday from broken bay. Terrigal fad and onto Norah canyon sea very lumpy so trolled Terrigal fad to the Norah canyon. Was 1.30 by the time we got there so only had an hour there before the run back. One other boat there amazing topography.. The bottom drops 200plus metres in about half a mile and then up again......hence canyon. Would have liked to spend a bit longer there.

Water 23 in close and then dropping to 22 then about 15 miles offshore. Back up to 24 out at the canyon. It is a 40 miles run back so probably won't make a habit of it. 110 miles for the day and 140 litres of fuel. ( 150 merc 4 stroke outboard) Tally for the day! 3 dollies ( 2 keepers), 2 very fat striped tuna, released and one free jumper.

nice, you landed more fish than we did, yeah Norah Canyon is a good spot, we have done well there when we have ventured out there.

Wow, that's a lot of fuel, my thing guzzles fuel like all hell as well.

Managed to catch a bit of the action late in the piece

Enough to make a grown man scream - literally

nice, definitely gets your adrenaline pumping huh. I have been using the go pro on the head mount, but I have found but the time you stick it on head and turn it on the fish is 300 metres behind boat if its still connected. I am going permanently hard wire a go pro the rocket launcher with big SD card in it and turn it on and leave it on all day.

Even though I lost the fish I would have at least got shots of the leaping out as they take the lures and get hooked up.

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures