Picky Mahi Mahi

meg126

Dropped in from Woy Woy yesterday to chase the Mahi in the hopes they were still around.

Tried for yakkas but they were really hard going today - funny how they are like that some days. Spoke to 2 other boats and they also had the same issues with them.

Headed off with 3 yakkas and plastics/ bait. Hooked up the first livie on a live bait hook and 20secs later, a nice sized Mahi is jumping out of the water doing cool acrobatics. Im using some light gear - 8lb braid, 12lb leader (uni to uni) with a Shimano Aernos 2500 reel. Im having a blast until I notice the yellow braid is pretty much goooonnnnneee and there is a whole lot of red spool showing, gulp.

Knowing the livies are in very short supply, I didn't want to stuff this up so we start chasing this thing all around the joint - not too much later, we have a lovely 88cm model on board.... my record. An expensive fish cause the other 2 livies were hit but didn't hook up (used circle hooks so Im blaming them, the normal live bait hooked worked no worries).

post-30804-0-71311900-1399678154_thumb.jpg