42cm Tarwhine - Wanda / Cronulla

RichieR

Hi Raiders,

I headed down to Wanda beach today in front of Sea Salt restaurant to try beach worming. Got there at 2pm and tried with my new alvey plastic pliers for about 2.5 hours with no luck ... I could find the worms but had trouble getting them to pop their heads up far enough before the next wave came in.

Anyway, 4.30 I went to the car and got 2 rods and some pillies and prawns from the bait shop after the taren point bridge.

Setup the big rod with a pillie, little rod with prawn, about 1.5 hours after hide tide (which was at about 6.10) I hooked this Tarwhine. It went 42cm on the lie detector!

post-10163-0-27621100-1399814188_thumb.jpg

post-10163-0-51414800-1399814208_thumb.jpg

It took the bloody prawn haha.

Had a full prawn on a big circle hook - I find it is the only way to keep prawns on the hook in the surf / wash

Had a few good hits on the pilchard , I think it was tailor - they were chomping the tails off and missing the hook.

It took the bloody prawn haha.

Had a full prawn on a big circle hook - I find it is the only way to keep prawns on the hook in the surf / wash

Had a few good hits on the pilchard , I think it was tailor - they were chomping the tails off and missing the hook.

Well done on a cracking tarwhine!

If your having trouble keeping on a prawn in the surf or tide, half hitch the tail around the hook with your leader. You can use this method with any size hook and keeps the bait presentable.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Cheers!

I have tried that in the past but found that the hitch just cuts the tail of the prawn off as I cast.

This is the circle I use on the beach, I think from memory it is a 5/0 Gamakatsu circle. I threw the packet out

post-10163-0-28984200-1399855206_thumb.jpg

Guest Aussie007

i find it hard feeding a prawn onto the smaller circle hooks to mate, thats a huge ass tarwine well done!

Very nice mate.

Coming from Vic, I still struggle a bit with telling the difference between a yellowfin bream and a tarwhin (neither of which are really caught in melbourne).

I know the tarwhine have have goldish stripes and is it a longer nose? Whats the easiest way to be sure?

Great fish and nice pics, thanks for sharing.

Try a Kipper as your bait for beachworms, I find that they love the smell and will come up quite readily. Also try further North, just past the exercise area at Wanda, caught some good worms there.

Cheers

Paikea