First crack at the drummer

Longfish

Hi all, haven't posted anything in a while but i have been fishing a bit of late, decided to have my first crack at some drummer this weekend.

I know the swell was a little too small (half meter) for them but i took this as a bonus as i am not an experienced rock fisho and my fishing buddy was on mrs duty so i was solo...still wore a pdf despite basic flat calm before anyone asks!

Anyway...i headed to the little bay on Saturday and there was a bit of wash about in certain areas which was encouraging...bait was liquidised bread burley and bread on the hook...found a nice area with consistent wash and flow and fished for a few hours...result...hooked two lost two...one of which must have been a good fish as there was no stopping it on 20lb and a very tight clutch on my shimmy 4500B...did me on the rocks.

Anyway, the experience gave me confidence to head back Sunday but unfortunately there was basically no swell or wash at all down there so didn't get a touch...will have to wait for a swell of around 1m and go again (wouldn't fancy it much bigger than that!)...reckon i will get one next time.

Cheers all.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Well...I ended up going out on Tuesday as i got the day off...the swell was small at around 0.7m from the south so i decided to fish the northern side of little bay as i thought it would be one of the only places with a reasonable wash. Turned up around 2pm and the wash looked reasonable but safe so burleyed up with liquidized bread and began fishing with bread hookbaits and a pea sinker running to the hook...anyway it didn't disappoint and i finished with 6 pigs...not big 38cm being the largest but they really go! and they were my first so i was chuffed....boy do you go through alot of hooks though...2 packets plus! What line strength/ brand of mainline are you guys using cos i am over tying up endless leaders and want to fish straight through...i am currently using platypus premium in 20lbs but it isn't tough enough without using a rubbing leader...

Sent from my Windows Phone Tapatalk

post-25620-14006782419411_thumb.jpg

post-25620-14006782559593_thumb.jpg

post-25620-14006782711354_thumb.jpg

post-25620-14006782828835_thumb.jpg

Edited by Longfish

opps, forgot to mention, obviously its not a very delicate art catching drummer (if you want to ensure a decent one gets brought in). Just skull drag them in if you can. Doesn't mean it isn't a whole lot of fun! they fight very hard!

Yeah...i wasn't loosing the hooks to fish reefing me (unfortunately!) i was just snagging up every second or third cast..

(particularly at low tide).

The location i was fishing was D...be carefull. Although i have hooked and lost good drummer at B also.

If you are going through a lot of hooks, your sinker is too heavy.

It is a trade off in terms of line strength. The heavier you go the less fish you will catch. The lighter you go, the more fish you will hook but you'll lose the big ones.

Look through the iso fishing videos on youtube. I fish with those guys often, as we don't usually go over 20lb leaders. I personally fish with 8-10lb leaders for drummer.

If you are going through a lot of hooks, your sinker is too heavy.

It is a trade off in terms of line strength. The heavier you go the less fish you will catch. The lighter you go, the more fish you will hook but you'll lose the big ones.

Look through the iso fishing videos on youtube. I fish with those guys often, as we don't usually go over 20lb leaders. I personally fish with 8-10lb leaders for drummer.

Okay that's good to know...in hindsight i should have switched down to micro sinkers (00/000) as the tide dropped away but the edge of the ledge that all the bites were coming from was a cast away and i may have struggled to get the distance if i went much smaller than the little bean sinkers i was using...also if i didn't get the bait down quick enough it was washing back over the top of the ledge and under my feet....may just be a tricky spot...you can see the sinker i was using in one of the photos.

What brands of line do you drummer boys use...the platinum is low diameter and nice but just isn't really 'cutting it' for abrasion resistance (excuse the pun!)...just feels delicate.

Sent from my Windows Phone with Tapatalk

Edited by Longfish

i just up the size of my bread bait to get some extra weight and so it sinks faster if thats the case.

alternatively i use wet hands to get my bread bait on my hook to get some extra weight as well.

how big is your bread bait?

some people i have seen mould a whole slice of bread onto a their hooks....i have used up to half a slice but you are 100% right it depends on the conditions and how many pickers there are in the water....obviously longer rod also helps keep your bait in the area you want.

Nice one, you stuck to it and ended up with 6!

That big one would have got the heart racing.

I am going to give my local spot a hit this weekend.

I tend to use 20 pound line for the leader and use braid from the reel...braid floats and gives the un-weighted bait a better chance of drifting out.

Also try and use crab for bait. You can catch them in the rock pools on the rock ledges...I guarantee you it will vanish as soon as it hits the water, drummer love them.

Regarding the line I use that jarvis walker 20 pound or any other B W special......not glamorous but it does the job for me. I tend to use larger bream hooks instead of small circle hooks.

Just a thought but when I have a lot of bread burley, the drummer sill actually come to eat it off the surface. I tend to use a small bobby cork with little weight. With burley you don't need to fish near the bottom. Will save you a fortune in hooks on snags plus you hook them away from the bottom which gives you a better than even chance with them.

Good luck,

Steve

if you use a small bobbycork/float add enough weight running to a swivel so fish doesn't feel weight of float, then a longish leader to hook so bait moves around freely

Jim..

Little Bay is my favourite spot. It's just my mobility or lack of, that limits my time there :(

Yeah...i wasn't loosing the hooks to fish reefing me (unfortunately!) i was just snagging up every second or third cast..

(particularly at low tide).

The location i was fishing was D...be carefull. Although i have hooked and lost good drummer at B also.

hmm how do you get to D? only way i can think is to walk from C to D at low tide.

hmm how do you get to D? only way i can think is to walk from C to D at low tide.

That's the way I go although I have heard you can park up on a road above the cliff and sneak across the golf coarse and down a gully although I have never done it...i believe the road is biglia crescent or something like that.

C to D OK any tide as long as swell not too big, and if swell is up you couldn't fish D anyway. There is a high ledge between E and B called The Jump, which is good whenever the swell is up. it faces NE so can fish in a strong southerly as well.

There is an entry from Bilga Cr that you can walk down,a gully to the beach also, or I park at the carpark at the community centre at end of Pine Ave near The Chapel and walk down the stairs to the beach.

Jim...

C to D OK any tide as long as swell not too big, and if swell is up you couldn't fish D anyway. There is a high ledge between E and B called The Jump, which is good whenever the swell is up. it faces NE so can fish in a strong southerly as well.

There is an entry from Bilga Cr that you can walk down,a gully to the beach also, or I park at the carpark at the community centre at end of Pine Ave near The Chapel and walk down the stairs to the beach.

Jim...

Ah right..

I always fish the beach and sometime between B & E... didn't even know it was called The Jump :)

Thanks

Ah right..

I always fish the beach and sometime between B & E... didn't even know it was called The Jump :)

Thanks

The south facing side of the same ledge is called Doctors and there is a rock on it's own you can climb down and back up onto...must watch water though

Jim...