Amazing day on Chipping Norton Lake today

mottyman

Hi everyone,

Since the Bass have moved on my mate Chris and I decided to head to Chipping Norton Lake to give the bream a go.

Today didn't disappoint with some nice fish coming on board the Yak - largest was 32cm. Biggest Flattie went 48cm.

All fish were taken on Berkley Sandworms in Camo and Halco Scorpion 45mm hardbody in Pink/Yellow.

I didn't get another lure out all day - when something works, stick with it I reckon.

I fished very light - 1-3kg rods with 4lb mono main line (I don't use braid anymore) to a 4lb Vanish leader.

All the bream made a really good account of themselves and I had some fun listening to the drag scream as they headed off and circled the yak.

Here's some pics from a great day.

Cheers

David.

post-237-0-19903800-1400565166_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-71175000-1400565180_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-60762000-1400565189_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-58328600-1400565193_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-08331600-1400565199_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-45412200-1400565205_thumb.jpg

Thanks mate. Sorry, I should clarify. I use braid on heavier outfits but I find light mono these days is just as good as braid when fishing very light and I don't get casting knots at all or tip wrapped as much using the mono. Joining leaders is easier as I just use a double blood knot.

I really like the light mono, I'm using Berkley trilene. Anything heavier than 4lb in that line doesn't really work however.

Cheers

David.

Nice catch, nothing like light gear on the yak, you don't get much closer to the fish than that.

, I'm using Berkley trilene. Anything heavier than 4lb in that line doesn't really work however.

I agree, I had some 30lb in that stuff and it had so much memory it came off the reel like the coil of a spring

Thanks guys. Fishseeker, I cut them in half and use them on a very small ball head jig. I've got no idea about weights of jig heads, I just use what feels about right for the conditions. Just enough to hold the bottom.

Thanks mate. Sorry, I should clarify. I use braid on heavier outfits but I find light mono these days is just as good as braid when fishing very light and I don't get casting knots at all or tip wrapped as much using the mono. Joining leaders is easier as I just use a double blood knot.

I really like the light mono, I'm using Berkley trilene. Anything heavier than 4lb in that line doesn't really work however.

Cheers

David.

If not running braid why wouldn't u just use straight thru fluro instead of mono and not have to worry about leader knots?

If not running braid why wouldn't u just use straight thru fluro instead of mono and not have to worry about leader knots?

Hey Flathead. The mono I use is bright orange so I can see it. It holds its color really well and hasn't faded (new on reels at the start of last year's Bass season). I really like to be able to see the line very clearly so I can tell when the lure has hit the bottom. Its just something I like and I'm used to fishing that way. You're right tho, strait through fluro would be a good idea and cut out leader knots, I just like to be able to see the main line.

thanks for that motty. what kindve retrieve do you use on them? Have a pack in my tacklebox but no idea how to use them lol

Let the lure hit the bottom and then work it very slowly. If you think you're going slow, slow it down again. Just a very gentle lift of the bottom (not very high) and then let it sink down again. Most strikes today came just as the lure hit the bottom which was great and set the hook well, especially with the flatties, all hooked right in the front of the top jaw so no bite offs.